Will other AODE's work in my 94 mustang GT

falconfan13

Sep 24, 2010
Posted this in another stang forum and would like to post it here to, to get a broader reply and better chance of finding this out.

Was wondering if anyone knew if the AODE from the other ford cars/trucks would work correctly with my 94 mustang GT as just a straight bolt on or is the ratio's completely different for each one and it would take alot of work to get it to work right.

Main reason im asking is the 3rd gear and OD just went out in my car as it actually shifts into 3rd but then just shoots the rpm's up like it is in neutral. Can't really afford to get a full rebuild done on mine right now as that would be the plan as it already has a shift kit and such in it.

But i need something to get me back and forth to work to put in it until i can afford to rebuild mine the way it should be.

So will any other aode hook up with it almost flawlessly that i could pick up from like a pul a part just incase they don't have a 94 Gt sitting out there.

Thanks for your help and time of this and if their is already a thread made of this please direct me to it as im new to the site and am sorry if i posted in the wrong area.

• Sponsors (?)

the worry i would have is the wiring for the solenoids. if that is different, then you'd have to straighten that out.

that is the thing about the 4r70ws ... they are good transmissions, but it is not a direct replacement. i have a horror story about that swap, so i know about that.

you can probably get a rebuilt one off ebay for not too much.

or do what i did and dump the aod-e and get an aod. mine was $700 shipped

It is basically a 99% direct swap, there are just a few little things that need swapped from one tranny to the other. The 4r70w is just a beefed up AODE with wide gear ratios. I got mine for $200 and had it installed with a shift kit added for another $200. No horror stories here. If you can find one in that price range, don't hesitate to pick it up.

Really wasn't talking about a swap to a 4r70W. Was more so on the liens of talking about taking a AODE out of something like a Crown Vic, Explorer, F150, etc.. and seeing if that would go in without any problems as long as they were from 5.0 engines of those cars and from 91-95. Just want to see if i have a wider choice of cars to look for and find a working AODE instead of a 94-95 GT only.

Was more so on the liens of talking about taking a AODE out of something like a Crown Vic, Explorer, F150, etc.. and seeing if that would go in without any problems as long as they were from 5.0 engines of those cars and from 91-95. Just want to see if i have a wider choice of cars to look for and find a working AODE instead of a 94-95 GT only.

As long as it's a 2WD Explorer or F150, you can use the AODE from those. Don't rule out a 4R70W swap from a '99-'04 V6. Those are very good trannies and if you add extra clutches, they're even better. Not a 100% direct swap as mentioned earlier but definitely worth considering.

Well i only have 200 or less to get this done :) So a place like pul a part and 3 or 4 days to get it done is what im working with :D Trust me if i had the extra money the car would be a 5 spd ;) At the very least i would have mine taken out and rebuilt with a stall as it already has a good shift kit in it.