• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Will they Work?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thurzday
  • Start date Start date Apr 24, 2008

Thurzday

New Member
May 3, 2007
10
0
0
Apr 24, 2008
#1
  • Apr 24, 2008
  • #1
Ok. So I found a set of 289 heads at a garage sale for a smokin deal. I understand that they are interchangeable with the 302 heads. But I was looking for at the specs casting # C60E-M 66. I have A 302 that is in great need of some work. I'm wondering if it would be worth the 50 to have them hot tanked, magnafluxed and pressure tested. They would only be on the car for a short time, considering the 302 I have is numbers matching, I want to have the head ported, polished and bigger valves and guides put in. Will the 289 heads work as a temporary fix?

Any help is appreciated.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 25, 2008
#2
  • Apr 25, 2008
  • #2
Those have the small 54 cc chambers. Other than that, they've got the same ports and valves as most 302 heads.
 

Thurzday

New Member
May 3, 2007
10
0
0
Apr 25, 2008
#3
  • Apr 25, 2008
  • #3
Sweet. Now I just have to decide if I want to put bigger valves in now. Not a bad find for 10 bucks
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
  • Poll Poll
Stroking a Mexico 289 or newer roller 302
  • MaryJaneTheMustang
  • Aug 12, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
108
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 12, 2026
Bullitt347
5
Hello fellow Mustang fanatics.
  • 580HP*428Cj
  • Apr 2, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
4
Views
303
The Welcome Wagon Aug 18, 2026
josep4
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
G
Intro and FB questions
  • gflat65
  • Nov 16, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
252
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Nov 25, 2025
horse sence
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?