Wilwood Brake Options - 1977 Mark V Lincoln

LS1Nova

Jun 19, 2015
My Lincoln currently has all-around disc brakes....and that's it. They're just plain single-piston calipers with dual master cylinder.

I'm looking to upgrade to something with a bit more grab to stop this barge better and less dramatically in a panic. I want to use only organic pads.

I called wilwood and they recommended a 1+1/8" master for my (hydraulically) power boosted brakes.

I'm thinking of putting some sort of proportioning valve or balance bar in that I can adjust to help the rears prevent lock up.

How about six pots in the front and four in the back?? What size discs would be recommended?

Any experience with Wilwoods please post! It'll be much appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Extra pistons may be good for bragging rights, (and maybe extra leaks and stuck parts potential), but a well worked out kit is a better idea. If Willwood has a set for your car, including the portioning valve, that is the way to go. I would have no problem following their recommendation. I do choke on writing a check that big. But you NEED that big of brakes! And paint and body work from running into something is not cheap lately either.

If extra pots aren't all that, then what would you recommend as an upgrade from these ancient anchors? Today's brakes are so much more efficient at transferring heat away but also clamping force.

I want to use organic brakes so it doesn't eat rotors and doesn't bite too hard.

The portioning valve is a must. The last thing I want is a Dukes of Hazard-like smoke out.

Hey, all I need to know about driving I learned from that show!

Seriously, you are talking to a great place. A big car needs big brakes, from a good company. I was just slamming the other suspension places that are offering 10 piston calipers. It is like a multi blade razor. Are 10 blades better than one dang sharp one? Three are enough for me.

Ah I see. To be clear I mean 3-pot calipers in the front and 2-pot in the rear. What performance brands may be just as good for an every day driver but more affordable?

Thanks!

I prefer to have someone else to try out a brake combo first. Not only will a complete set save hassle, but I have had brakes become breaks and that does not mix well with enthusiastic driving!

So why organic pads only? Are you going to eat them in a salad? There are semi metallic pads that have good wear, squeak and the dust is no worse. And they usually fade less.