Window Problem

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
So at lunch when I rolled down the driver's window, it got almost to the bottom and then made a very loud POP noise.

Now every time I roll it down it does this when it gets to the bottom. It is very loud and the side view mirror and the door panel move quite a bit from the force...

WTF? :scratch:

• Sponsors (?)

yeah regulators are pretty pricey. Well they are for Beamers anyway, i haven't looked into one on a stang yet. Try randy over at modular-depot .com on pricing.

Also, why dont you take the door apart yourself, its not terribly hard and maybe its something you can fix yourself (window off the track, etc)

Oh I will absolutely be taking the door apart this weekend, I have had it apart before to replace speakers.

Hopefully I will be able to fix it without needing any parts (yeah riiiight....)

I absolutely do need a supercharger. I am actually looking at an 03 cobra vert.

Anyways, I have additional information to add about my window.

I took the door panel, door panel liner, and speaker off the car and watched the window go down.

What is happening is that on the downward movement of the window, it wants to over travel and "pops" the gearing of the arms that actuate the window movement.

Is there a travel limiter adjustment or some way to prevent the window from trying to go down too far?

Anyways... Here are some pics I took just now.

Check out the poor attempt to get the foam backer behind the speaker mount. The speaker mount is rivited so it is not easily corrected:
View attachment 429354

That white stuff is thin foam that is supposed to be between the black speaker mount ring and the door. Almost no attempt was made on the assembly line to align it properly:
View attachment 429356

Here's the inside of the door:
View attachment 429358

Here's my speaker its not the greatest:
View attachment 429360

Here is the door liner. I have a feeling it is going to be tricky to re-install:
View attachment 429362

View attachment 429364

Here is the inside of the door trim panel. You can see the numerous hooks that engage holes in the door sheet metal to hold the trim panel on. Also visible is the blue and yellow foam insulation for heat and sound deadening. I found that some of the blue foam insulation is a bit loose and is the cause of an annoying rattle that had been annoying me. I will use silicone adhesive to fill the gap...
View attachment 429366

Here is the other side of the door trim panel:
View attachment 429368

Here are some various trim pieces, some screws, and a single trim fastener:
View attachment 429370

The switch assembly, its held on with two screws:
View attachment 429372

Close up of the area where the rattle is located. The melted plastic rivets holding on the blue foam are a bit loose:
View attachment 429374

I still need to figure out what is wrong with my window. That is why I took all this apart. I think the regulator is shot and I just need a new one :shrug:

well with the door apart like that, does moving it up and down make any noise, does the glass or track get caught on anything. is anything out of the ordinary?

And if that "pop" you hear sounds more like "thudding"....you'll need a window regulator. I'm 90% sure thats your problem. I'd be talking to randy. It shoudln't be too hard to install however.

Applying my BMW experience to stangs:
You'll need to probably move the window half way up, then throught the door you might be able to see where it attatches to the track (the regulator). You'll PROBABLy need to remove the glass (probably one fastener on each side--left and right), then remove the track. That whole track assembly should come out in one piece and thats the regulator. Then reassemble.

I see in the center of the door where you can see the track arm, there is one screw on each side of the big square cut out in the door, i'm sure those will need to be removed to get the regulator out. I'm guessing this should not be too hard for you to figure out on your own....especially since you've already taken your whole interior apart in the past, you're clearly inclined in dissassembly :p

Keep in mind i've NEVER done a regulator on a stang, only beamers :rlaugh: so thats just my experience with them. I know they are COMPLETELY different cars, but i thouht i'd give you some insight :nice:

If i'm completely wrong, someone please help him LOL

Killy, to reinstall the moisture barrier, get some 3M spray trim adhesive. its the stuff used for headliners and such. spray that in the same areas as the original adhesive, let it tack up, and reinstall. :nice:

as far as the noise, try to figure out where the sound comes from as you move the glass up and down. dont do it too many times, or you can overheat the motor. once you think you know where the noise is coming from, it should be easy to find the problem. good luck!

bigcat said:
Killy, to reinstall the moisture barrier, get some 3M spray trim adhesive. its the stuff used for headliners and such. spray that in the same areas as the original adhesive, let it tack up, and reinstall. :nice:

as far as the noise, try to figure out where the sound comes from as you move the glass up and down. dont do it too many times, or you can overheat the motor. once you think you know where the noise is coming from, it should be easy to find the problem. good luck!
Thanks for the help! :nice:

The regulator for the xterra as around $80 but it was a bit different than the one in a mustang. Something else to check on is how the window is attached to the base. On the truck it was a couple of small bolts or screws but my buddy said when he had his window replaced after someone broke in was that it had some sort of rivets holding it in.

does the motor separate from the regulator? some only come witha a new regulator. you can try to separate te two and see if the motor without regulator makes the same noises.