Window tint scratch problem is fixed without felt

Well, I've read many posts about people having scratches on their tint, so I asked my tint guy WTF. He said that the usual fix is a strip of moleskin or felt, like many here have recommended, but that works better on the newer Mustangs though. Apparently, they have a plastic strip the touches the glass vs. the rubber one that's found on say the 99-04s. There's not much that it will do on the others. He said that many manufacturers have the windows so tight, that tint installers have had a lot of complaints about scratched tint on all makes and models.

Here's the usefull part. I had my door panel off a couple of months ago, and I noticed a metal bracket-like thing that presses against the glass and it had some sort of soft material on it. When sitting in the drivers seat and looking at the door(without panel), this bracket thing was located about 8-10 inches from the right side and just below the window opening. It presses pretty hard against the glass, I guess to keep it on track. I think that's why it scratches the tint. I noticed that scratches are inline with that little bracket thing. The thing can be adjusted, and I moved it back about 1/8 of an inch or so. It still touches the glass, it just doesn't press on it as hard. I had my car retinted with 20% and after a couple of months...no scratches at all. It only takes a few minutes to take off the door panel, and the bracket thing only has one screw in it.

This worked for me on my 04 GT, so I'm sure the 99-04 are all setup the same. Maybe some of the others too. If you have your windows tinted and have scratch issues, or you are going to have your windows tinted, look into this. It only takes a little bit of your time, and saves you from getting a new tint job.

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the write up!

my tint has scratches in it on the passenger side and i'm hoping it's that same bracket. doesn't seem as hard either now so i guess i'll do that soon. i've been puttin it off a month.