Windshield wipers won't stop.

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I swear. I planned on selling the car and now everything is going south on her. I might have to keep it just to keep it running good.

The other day I was driving in the rain. When the rain stopped I turned the wipers off only to watch them continue to run. I can't change the speed or anything. All I can do is watch them run. I eventually pulled the fuse out.

I thought it might be the multifunction switch but when I searched windshield wipers I found out that I don't know what the heck is going on.

Any guidance?

• Sponsors (?)

wiper switch possibly?

This is kinda what I'm thinking but is there a way to test it before I pay $100 for a new one?

About the speed governor: I searched about this and it seems like the most common symptom is high speed only...and it seems like you still have "off" as an option.

Would slow and always on be a symptom of the governor?

The wiper park feature has probably gone bad. The wipers motor has a switch inside that continues
to provide power to the motor when you turn the switch off. This switch provides power until the
wiper blades reach the park position. Once the wiper blades are in the park area, the switch cuts off.

If you remove the wiper motor and then carefully remove the cover that has all the wiring
connections, you will find the park switch mechanism. There are two copper circles and two brass
strips that act as contacts mounted on the fiber gear that moves the wiper arm shaft. Sometimes
the copper circles come unglued from the gear and then the park feature doesn’t work. I epoxied
mine back in place with some JB weld and it has worked good for several years now.

The following diagram is for a 92 Mustang: some of the wire colors and connection points may be
different from an 88, but it helps give you an idea of how it is wired.
attachment.php

I tried to remove the Wiper motor today but I can't get it off. Is there any easy trick or something?

I removed the 3 bolts holding the motor to the firewall. I thought I'd be able to pull it right out but I was wrong. Then I noticed it was attached (obviously) to the wiper but I can't get to that bolt or the clips. I removed the 6 screws holding that vent between the hood and windshield but I couldn't get it off because I don't know how to removed the actual wipers.

Any guidance?

I replaced the motor today because I didn't know what the heck I was looking at when I removed the covers (sorry jrichker). Unfortunately I didn't fix the problem. Now I'm thinking its the switch. Do I have to replace the whole stalk? My blinkers work but my wipers stay in slow no matter where I have it.

Bumping an old post, so i got all the way to getting the cover off, and getting the one bolt that connect the arm under the cover to the motor. it is still sticking to the motor though i tried gently prying with a flat head, am i missing another screw or something towards the driver side of the car. i was looking but i didnt see any visable bolts or screws.