• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Wiper motor test question 71-73

  • Thread starter Thread starter HHStang
  • Start date Start date Nov 6, 2006
H

HHStang

Member
May 15, 2003
566
0
16
Coastal SC
Nov 6, 2006
#1
  • Nov 6, 2006
  • #1
anyone know what wire (s?) to put 12 v to and which to ground to test the motor? THANKS.
 

7D3mach

Member
May 9, 2005
48
0
6
Melfort, SK
Nov 6, 2006
#2
  • Nov 6, 2006
  • #2
HHStang said:
anyone know what wire (s?) to put 12 v to and which to ground to test the motor? THANKS.
Click to expand...

Well if I remember correctly, there are four wires. The female parts of the plug are power and the male parts should be the ground. I'm not sure if this is right since it's been a while since I looked at one. Also, hooking power to the one will make it spin one way and hooking it to the other would be the reverse. One of the ground wires is either white or yellow I believe (hard to tell because the wires were dirty) Hope this helps.
 
H

HHStang

Member
May 15, 2003
566
0
16
Coastal SC
Nov 7, 2006
#3
  • Nov 7, 2006
  • #3
Thanks 7d3mach, I looked in my Ford electric manual last night after I posted this and it has an illustration. You need to jump a couple of the pins fyi.
 

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
1,960
5
39
CT-USA
Nov 7, 2006
#4
  • Nov 7, 2006
  • #4
HHStang said:
Thanks 7d3mach, I looked in my Ford electric manual last night after I posted this and it has an illustration. You need to jump a couple of the pins fyi.
Click to expand...
Just for my own edification, which wires do you jump. I was looking at the wiring diagram trying to figure out the answer, but those things always make my head spin.
 
H

HHStang

Member
May 15, 2003
566
0
16
Coastal SC
Nov 7, 2006
#5
  • Nov 7, 2006
  • #5
make sure the motor is grounded--jump the black and white pins on the connector and hook the red pin to bat +. Either I have three bad motors or the car has some other issue. I haven't tried it, but I will tomorrow night. The book shows current draw tests too. Let me know if you want those.
 

7D3mach

Member
May 9, 2005
48
0
6
Melfort, SK
Nov 7, 2006
#6
  • Nov 7, 2006
  • #6
HHStang said:
make sure the motor is grounded--jump the black and white pins on the connector and hook the red pin to bat +. Either I have three bad motors or the car has some other issue. I haven't tried it, but I will tomorrow night. The book shows current draw tests too. Let me know if you want those.
Click to expand...


Well I don't know what my wiper motor is from then. Mine was nothing like that.
 
H

HHStang

Member
May 15, 2003
566
0
16
Coastal SC
Nov 8, 2006
#7
  • Nov 8, 2006
  • #7
This is the correct wiring, but this is just the "park" test for the wipers. I guess the only way to test is amp draw.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Wipers won't work at all
  • jpfox
  • May 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
633
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 16, 2025
nickyb
Electrical/engine bay harness questions
  • djj62478
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
371
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 6, 2026
djj62478
D
How to test for a bad coil pack - 4.6 liter motor
  • DesertStang
  • Oct 7, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
2K
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 14, 2026
DesertStang
D
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
449
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
AlexM556
A
Ignition Question
  • WantAn88GT
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
189
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
WantAn88GT
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?