• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Wire tuck question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rjt187
  • Start date Start date Jan 7, 2021

Rjt187

New Member
Jan 4, 2021
1
0
1
Rhode Island
Jan 7, 2021
#1
  • Jan 7, 2021
  • #1
I’ve browsed around a bunch haven’t seen much on this, started doing a wire tuck on the headlight harness (drivers side) noticed an oval plug hole on the drivers firewall inside the fender well (fenders off) Haven’t seen anyone utilizing this, anyone know why? I’ve seen people cut holes in the back of the tower and cut wires and pull them through the small hole near the brake booster. My thought was to expand the oval grommet in the fender well a bit, pull the harness back into the vehicle, then feed it through the hole I expanded. (I’ll obviously make it water tight after) Might help to add that my car is completely disassembled (doors,fenders,fender wells, hood, interior, bumpers, motor, tranny......the whole nine) thanks for reading, Thoughts? The picture I added is of the hole I’m referring too, red ring around it.
 

Attachments

  • 570672B1-093A-491B-B752-E2ADEC880A81.webp
    333.6 KB · Views: 183

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,333
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Jan 7, 2021
#2
  • Jan 7, 2021
  • #2
I've used it for other wires, but not to wire tuck. It's a good idea, but you'll likely have to cut holes (or extend wires) in the rear apron area to connect to the wires that run across the firewall.

I think the main reason people don't pull the harness all the way back and then through that hole is because it's a huge PITA to do without pulling the dash out.

I really wish that someone reproduced that grommet. Mine is a little stiff
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,056
10,678
213
polk county florida
Jan 7, 2021
#3
  • Jan 7, 2021
  • #3
It looks to be the hole where the cruise control wiring enters the interior.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,333
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Jan 7, 2021
#4
  • Jan 7, 2021
  • #4
Your prob right. My car didn't have Cruise, so that hole was just plugged on my car
 

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
6,946
5,818
213
Jan 7, 2021
#5
  • Jan 7, 2021
  • #5
I also use that hole to run wires into the interior. I didn't have to cut any wires to pass through the hole in the back of the strut tower. Not either of the two hole you have pictured. I didn't have to widen the hole either. Pass the biggest connectors through first...then the rest of the wiring.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
87 wire tuck gone wrong
  • Mythstery
  • Nov 14, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
168
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 14, 2025
Mythstery
M
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
326
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
A
Electrical Wire Tuck - what is this connector?
  • afjLX
  • Nov 30, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
479
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 30, 2024
afjLX
A
Electrical ’86 Mustang – Power Windows/Locks Dead After Terminator X Swap
  • 5.0 Mike
  • Aug 21, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
256
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2025
5.0 Mike
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?