• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Wire Tuck

  • Thread starter Thread starter rotorhead22
  • Start date Start date Jun 6, 2021

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 6, 2021
#1
  • Jun 6, 2021
  • #1
Finished my wire tuck on drivers side. Took a bit longer than YouTube said Of course being a former helicopter mechanic I probably went overboard on wire protection and routing. The only wires I had to extend was the coil wires. I also installed my hub centric spacers to bring out the rear wheels. I dont plan on thrashing on this vehicle.
 
Reactions: RaggedGT

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 6, 2021
#2
  • Jun 6, 2021
  • #2
I forgot to add this mod I’m thinking about
 
Reactions: BlakeusMaximus

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Jun 6, 2021
#3
  • Jun 6, 2021
  • #3
rotorhead22 said:
I forgot to add this mod I’m thinking about
Click to expand...
Please don’t put the spoiler on the coupe roof.
The frame rail under the battery looks like it needed uncovered and some attention. Did you move the battery with the wire tuck?
 

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
2,993
3,500
184
Mililani, Hawaii
Jun 7, 2021
#4
  • Jun 7, 2021
  • #4
7991LXnSHO said:
Please don’t put the spoiler on the coupe roof.
The frame rail under the battery looks like it needed uncovered and some attention. Did you move the battery with the wire tuck?
Click to expand...
This 100%
 

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,641
8,909
234
Birmingham, al
Jun 7, 2021
#5
  • Jun 7, 2021
  • #5
I personally don’t know why you need to have a skinny rear tire “stick out” and make it even with the wheel lip. Why create the self imposed tire rub...Do yourself a favor. Get rid of the spacers, and allow the rear suspension to move w/o interference.
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 10, 2021
#6
  • Jun 10, 2021
  • #6
CarMichael Angelo said:
I personally don’t know why you need to have a skinny rear tire “stick out” and make it even with the wheel lip. Why create the self imposed tire rub...Do yourself a favor. Get rid of the spacers, and allow the rear suspension to move w/o interference.
Click to expand...
I'm just curious as to why I see so many pictures with the tire tread ending in the same position as I have currently. Are the fender lips rolled?
 

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,641
8,909
234
Birmingham, al
Jun 10, 2021
#7
  • Jun 10, 2021
  • #7
rotorhead22 said:
I'm just curious as to why I see so many pictures with the tire tread ending in the same position as I have currently. Are the fender lips rolled?
Click to expand...
it’s because the larger than stock rear tires are on a bigger rim with the required offset to get them to fit. There isn’t anymore room inboard. That usually requires certain sacrifices, and modifications ( tire rub/ damage, wheel lip rolling, beating the piss out of the inside wheel tub). Sticking a stock width wheel out farther than the mating surface will only succeed in you doing both of the things required to get a fat tire to fit when you didn’t need to. And it’ll have the same effect as a wing spoiler on your roof. ( insert the words “ bad idea” here).The car ( any car ) looks better with the tire inside the wheel tub.
If you just have to have a tire even with the wheel lip, buy a 10” wheel and a 295/315 tire.
Then you’ll know first hand why there are so many pictures of those cars with the tire sidewall even with the wheel lip.
 
Last edited: Jun 10, 2021

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 10, 2021
#8
  • Jun 10, 2021
  • #8
CarMichael Angelo said:
it’s because the larger than stock rear tires are on a bigger rim with the required offset to get them to fit. There isn’t anymore room inboard. That usually requires certain sacrifices, and modifications ( tire rub/ damage, wheel lip rolling, beating the piss out of the inside wheel tub). Sticking a stock width wheel out farther than the mating surface will only succeed in you doing both of the things required to get a fat tire to fit when you didn’t need to. And it’ll have the same effect as a wing spoiler on your roof. ( insert the words “ bad idea” here).The car ( any car ) looks better with the tire inside the wheel tub.
If you just have to have a tire even with the wheel lip, buy a 10” wheel and a 295/315 tire.
Then you’ll know first hand why there are so many pictures of those cars with the tire sidewall even with the wheel lip.
Click to expand...
thank you for the insight. I will be replacing the rims and the ten year old tires. The car has 245 all the way around and the front tires are at the edge of the fender and it looked weird to me with the back tires so tucked in. I'm rebuilding the interior next and will probably change the rims after that, By the way, the spoiler on the roof was a joke on my son who has a WRX which I'm repairing that spoiler for him
 

Ryuk

I love your drawers
5 Year Member
Apr 22, 2017
1,702
1,630
133
Jun 12, 2021
#9
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #9
rotorhead22 said:
I forgot to add this mod I’m thinking about
Click to expand...
I strongly encourage you not to do this. If we ever cross paths, I'll buy you a beer if you to promise not to.
 
Reactions: rotorhead22 and 7991LXnSHO

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,321
18,047
224
Massachusetts
Jun 12, 2021
#10
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #10
A lip on the roof there makes the aerodynamic disadvantage that the coupe have even worse. You want a smooth transition from the roofline down the the trunk, and the hatch back actually has the advantage here. A lip there is going to create a assload of drag
 

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
3,958
2,939
153
Long Island, NY
Jun 12, 2021
#11
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #11
Ryuk said:
I strongly encourage you not to do this. If we ever cross paths, I'll buy you a beer if you to promise not to.
Click to expand...
I’ll buy second round! Please don’t do it.
Ill take @Foxslider zip tie mods before this!
 
Reactions: rotorhead22

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,641
8,909
234
Birmingham, al
Jun 12, 2021
#12
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #12
he said he was joking.....calm down.
 
Reactions: rotorhead22

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
3,958
2,939
153
Long Island, NY
Jun 12, 2021
#13
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #13
CarMichael Angelo said:
he said he was joking.....calm down.
Click to expand...
Haha. You’re right. I just re-read back a few posts.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,321
18,047
224
Massachusetts
Jun 12, 2021
#14
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #14
Damn i jumped on the bandwagon too
 

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
3,958
2,939
153
Long Island, NY
Jun 12, 2021
#15
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #15
Mustang5L5 said:
Damn i jumped on the bandwagon too
Click to expand...
Funny @CarMichael Angelo is the voice of reason here!
 
Reactions: Mustang5L5

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Jun 12, 2021
#16
  • Jun 12, 2021
  • #16
rotorhead22 said:
Finished my wire tuck on drivers side. Took a bit longer than YouTube said Of course being a former helicopter mechanic I probably went overboard on wire protection and routing. The only wires I had to extend was the coil wires. I also installed my hub centric spacers to bring out the rear wheels. I dont plan on thrashing on this vehicle.
Click to expand...


is your coil bracket upside down?
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jun 13, 2021
#17
  • Jun 13, 2021
  • #17
That’s the orientation when I removed it to paint
 

rotorhead22

Active Member
Dec 17, 2020
175
89
38
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Jul 31, 2021
#18
  • Jul 31, 2021
  • #18
CarMichael Angelo said:
it’s because the larger than stock rear tires are on a bigger rim with the required offset to get them to fit. There isn’t anymore room inboard. That usually requires certain sacrifices, and modifications ( tire rub/ damage, wheel lip rolling, beating the piss out of the inside wheel tub). Sticking a stock width wheel out farther than the mating surface will only succeed in you doing both of the things required to get a fat tire to fit when you didn’t need to. And it’ll have the same effect as a wing spoiler on your roof. ( insert the words “ bad idea” here).The car ( any car ) looks better with the tire inside the wheel tub.
If you just have to have a tire even with the wheel lip, buy a 10” wheel and a 295/315 tire.
Then you’ll know first hand why there are so many pictures of those cars with the tire sidewall even with the wheel lip.
Click to expand...
You were 100% correct, fender lips are now rolled for future wider rims and tires
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Electrical From scratch: alternator wiring
  • fox racer v2
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
637
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 23, 2025
fox racer v2
F
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
340
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
E
Finished my Fox Hydroboost Install - Tips
  • Engineer Duane
  • Apr 9, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 5, 2025
Engineer Duane
E
J
Progress Thread Family member 1989 GT- Backstory and updates
  • JRC99
  • Apr 19, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 26, 2025
JRC99
J
For Sale 3-owner 1987 Mustang GT, $18K obro, Lancaster CA
  • Bill Cool
  • Oct 6, 2024
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
4
Views
2K
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Oct 13, 2024
nickyb
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?