Wire Tuck

rotorhead22

Dec 17, 2020
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Finished my wire tuck on drivers side. Took a bit longer than YouTube said;) Of course being a former helicopter mechanic I probably went overboard on wire protection and routing. The only wires I had to extend was the coil wires. I also installed my hub centric spacers to bring out the rear wheels. I dont plan on thrashing on this vehicle.
IMG_7428.JPG
IMG_7431.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7409.JPG
IMG_7404.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I personally don’t know why you need to have a skinny rear tire “stick out” and make it even with the wheel lip. Why create the self imposed tire rub...Do yourself a favor. Get rid of the spacers, and allow the rear suspension to move w/o interference.

I personally don’t know why you need to have a skinny rear tire “stick out” and make it even with the wheel lip. Why create the self imposed tire rub...Do yourself a favor. Get rid of the spacers, and allow the rear suspension to move w/o interference.
I'm just curious as to why I see so many pictures with the tire tread ending in the same position as I have currently. Are the fender lips rolled?

I'm just curious as to why I see so many pictures with the tire tread ending in the same position as I have currently. Are the fender lips rolled?
it’s because the larger than stock rear tires are on a bigger rim with the required offset to get them to fit. There isn’t anymore room inboard. That usually requires certain sacrifices, and modifications ( tire rub/ damage, wheel lip rolling, beating the piss out of the inside wheel tub). Sticking a stock width wheel out farther than the mating surface will only succeed in you doing both of the things required to get a fat tire to fit when you didn’t need to. And it’ll have the same effect as a wing spoiler on your roof. ( insert the words “ bad idea” here).The car ( any car ) looks better with the tire inside the wheel tub.
If you just have to have a tire even with the wheel lip, buy a 10” wheel and a 295/315 tire.
Then you’ll know first hand why there are so many pictures of those cars with the tire sidewall even with the wheel lip.

Last edited:
it’s because the larger than stock rear tires are on a bigger rim with the required offset to get them to fit. There isn’t anymore room inboard. That usually requires certain sacrifices, and modifications ( tire rub/ damage, wheel lip rolling, beating the piss out of the inside wheel tub). Sticking a stock width wheel out farther than the mating surface will only succeed in you doing both of the things required to get a fat tire to fit when you didn’t need to. And it’ll have the same effect as a wing spoiler on your roof. ( insert the words “ bad idea” here).The car ( any car ) looks better with the tire inside the wheel tub.
If you just have to have a tire even with the wheel lip, buy a 10” wheel and a 295/315 tire.
Then you’ll know first hand why there are so many pictures of those cars with the tire sidewall even with the wheel lip.
thank you for the insight. I will be replacing the rims and the ten year old tires. The car has 245 all the way around and the front tires are at the edge of the fender and it looked weird to me with the back tires so tucked in. I'm rebuilding the interior next and will probably change the rims after that, By the way, the spoiler on the roof was a joke on my son who has a WRX which I'm repairing that spoiler for him

A lip on the roof there makes the aerodynamic disadvantage that the coupe have even worse. You want a smooth transition from the roofline down the the trunk, and the hatch back actually has the advantage here. A lip there is going to create a assload of drag

Finished my wire tuck on drivers side. Took a bit longer than YouTube said;) Of course being a former helicopter mechanic I probably went overboard on wire protection and routing. The only wires I had to extend was the coil wires. I also installed my hub centric spacers to bring out the rear wheels. I dont plan on thrashing on this vehicle.
IMG_7428.JPG
IMG_7431.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7409.JPG
IMG_7404.JPG

is your coil bracket upside down?

You were 100% correct, fender lips are now rolled for future wider rims and tires