Wired backwards? Engine coolant temp sensor... please help 1986 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Phdiesel

And just because I'm in a the mood to drive home how wrong you are because of the way you are addressing some very well known, knowledgeable, and respected members, here is a little real world test to drive the point home. Took my 2 minutes in my garage.

So here is the exact sensor you are talking about (2-wire, ECT temp sensor from a 5.0, Ford part # DY1145, 1984-1995 mustang). I measured this at room temp which is around 55 degrees in my garage.

20211210_140913.jpg

Then I reversed the polarity of my test leads on my multimeter. Go figure, the exact same reading! (within measurement tolerance of course)

20211210_140926.jpg

So then, according to your logic, if I would introduce some heat into the sensor and measure, I should get a drastically different reading when I reverse the polarity of my test leads? Right?

20211210_141228.jpg

Reverse the test leads, and MAJIC! It reads about the same (sensor continued to soak some heat from the heat gun while I was getting the second measurement). But also notice how the resistance value went down, because it got hotter, just like a NTC thermistor should.

20211210_141244.jpg

Around here, we treat our members with respect. You'll have to learn you can't assume the attitude of someone by the way you interpret their words online, otherwise you're going to have a really hard time on the internet in general. I have never seen any of those guys that responded to you put down anyone (that didn't absolutely deserve it). And after reading what you copied and posted, I can definitely tell you they were trying to help you and you took it the wrong way. Maybe take a step back and take a deep breath next time and try to approach it in a more civil way.
@Phdiesel

And just because I'm in a the mood to drive home how wrong you are because of the way you are addressing some very well known, knowledgeable, and respected members, here is a little real world test to drive the point home. Took my 2 minutes in my garage.

So here is the exact sensor you are talking about (2-wire, ECT temp sensor from a 5.0, Ford part # DY1145, 1984-1995 mustang). I measured this at room temp which is around 55 degrees in my garage.

20211210_140913.jpg

Then I reversed the polarity of my test leads on my multimeter. Go figure, the exact same reading! (within measurement tolerance of course)

20211210_140926.jpg

So then, according to your logic, if I would introduce some heat into the sensor and measure, I should get a drastically different reading when I reverse the polarity of my test leads? Right?

20211210_141228.jpg

Reverse the test leads, and MAJIC! It reads about the same (sensor continued to soak some heat from the heat gun while I was getting the second measurement). But also notice how the resistance value went down, because it got hotter, just like a NTC thermistor should.

20211210_141244.jpg

Around here, we treat our members with respect. You'll have to learn you can't assume the attitude of someone by the way you interpret their words online, otherwise you're going to have a really hard time on the internet in general. I have never seen any of those guys that responded to you put down anyone (that didn't absolutely deserve it). And after reading what you copied and posted, I can definitely tell you they were trying to help you and you took it the wrong way. Maybe take a step back and take a deep breath next time and try to approach it in a more civil way.
Exactly, it’s a NTC sensor like I said... the moderator tried to tell me it wasn’t... how about you guys get it right before you start telling me I’m wrong??? It is in fact a NTC sensor... car closed... I am not wrong....

• Sponsors (?)

@Phdiesel

Ummmm, what a rant dude. You're not going to get much help around here acting like, but what the heck, let me try to help explain this to you.

BTW, what @Mustang5L5 said is absolutely correct, you can wire it either way. Since you seem to want specifics, it's technically called a NTC thermistor type sensor. A thermistor is a type of resistor. The Mustang ECU sends a 5v reference signal to the sensor and the resistance value through the sensor (depending on temp) causes a voltage to be sent out the other wire that is received by the ECU (just like the paragraph you circled). And you are correct, a NTC thermistor's resistance goes down as the temperature goes up. Also, as you can probably tell by the chart you are referencing, the resistance value is not linear to temperature change.

Here's the kicker, you can wire it either way because it's a thermistor (resistor) and will drop voltage either way. It doesn't care which way you wire it, it's a resistor and electricity can flow either way (no polarity). We're not talking about a diode here.

Look up "does it matter which way I wire a thermistor" and check yourself.

Edit, in fact, here ya go. Just click here and read.
Google Search "does it matter which way you wire a thermistor"
All I said was it’sa to resistor and you guys started telling me I’m doing I’m wrong.. wake up!!! You were wrong... not me.. Jesus..

Exactly, it’s a NTC sensor like I said... the moderator tried to tell me it wasn’t... how about you guys get it right before you start telling me I’m wrong??? It is in fact a NTC sensor... car closed... I am not wrong....

Go back and reread post #1, #2 and #3. What did I actually say before you rudely dismissed me with respect to the question that you originally asked right before the goal posts got moved??

NTC Thermistor = resistor.

NTC Thermistor

1639167054351.png

I love how your are actually using reference material I provided you and then proceeded to :poo: all over me in this thread. Glad you got your answer.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
@Phdiesel

Calling the action of the sensor "NTC" was literally the only thing you got right. Everything else you rambled on about was wrong.

That’s not true... geez... it’s not just a resistor... if you get it backwards the car will think it’s hot when it’s cold and cold when it’s hot and it will adjust fuel accordingly... Please stop wasting peoples time and stop answering questions you know nothing about...
It's literally a temperature sensitive resistor, so you're wrong. You can wire it either way and the ecu will get the correct reading, so you're wrong here again.
It’s very clear that it’s a NTC sensor... it says so. And if you’re able to read that chart you sent youd see that it is as well... not arguing but you say it isn’t and the chart and paragraph actually says it is... sorry but, you guys are confused... “as temperature increases resistance decreases” that’s not “just a resistor” Because if you turn it around backwards you don’t get the same reading. Try it for yourself. But you didn’t help me out providing me with the schematic in which my problem is fixed... and for all of you that think I am wrong, go swap the wires on your sensor and come back and tell me your car doesn’t run like :poo:....
Wrong again, same as above. I even showed you how you were wrong by using real world examples.

So you asked a question, a member answered it correctly, and then you decided you wanted to argue about whether it was a NTC thermistor or not while arguing the information he gave was false (when you were wrong). This is why you are alone on your island in this thread. Whether it was a NTC or PTC thermistor is moot, you were trying to argue incorrect information on the original question you asked. All while someone was trying to help you.

That’s not true... geez... it’s not just a resistor.
you said what?
.. Please stop wasting peoples time and stop answering questions you know nothing about...
and whom knows what?
Are you a snowflake that can’t tags direct talk? The first response was a snide one and I don’t special that..
and this? Am I a 'snowflake'? I'm not even sure what that means.
Look, you obviously came here thinking you could post like this is facebook (or whatever it is called today). We don't put up with people that come here, ask a question then dispute/argue about the answer given.
I almost feel like you came here looking for a confrontation,
Now give me a reason to let you stay? Or you can go away on your own.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You also know I’m right.... :) LMR agreed with me but they don’t have the pigtail... I came in here wanting to know of anyone else had this sensor I did... not to be told that it wasn’t something that you and I both know it is... LOL... these guys put me down acting like I don’t know what I’m talking about... All I Gotta say each and everyone of you that think I’m wrong take your sensor in your resistance meter and hook up to it and throw it in hot water see what the reading is then turn the leads around and do it again and I swear to God you get a different answer. Case closed you guys need to do your research
Holy crap dude. You are here 1 day and start flaming people that have been here years and forgot more about these cars than you will ever know. Way to make a first impression.

You're lucky I am not a mod or I'd ban hammer your azz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It has been boring around here lately, and I found it a little amusing
The first thing I noticed was he bought a sensor with wires attached,
second was buying it from American Muscle, (not that AM is a bad place to buy stuff) which means it is a generic part that he A: probably paid to much for B: could have gotten the correct part from the corner parts store.
Then tell one of our best mechanical melvins he was wrong.
And continue to argue (like he was on facepage) when proven he was not understanding what the sensor does.
It was suggested that one of us drop the hammer but I hoped he would just find the exit on his own, leaving the door unlocked will allow him to come back later looking for help and not a be confrontational.
I know, I know, I'm a softy :doh:

Reactions: 1 users
It absolutely does not matter which way the thermistor is wired in they are not polarity sensitive it's just a resistor.
If you like I can draw you a schematic or show you how they are wired on a pcb... since I do electronic design for the aftermarket automotive world.

But what do I know I just design them, wire them, and tune them.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.