wiring electric fan to computer

Hey guys,
i have a 68 mustang but am doign an efi swap for the 351. i have an electric fan already installed using the painless thermostat controller. its nice and all but i dont liek the extra wires and crap it takes up in the engine bay. i was wondering if anybody knows how i can go about wiring the fan for the ecu to controll it. it is an EECIV computer a9p. i know it can be done because i have read about it somewhere i jsut cant find where i read it at.

if anybody has any experience with this or has alternate methods please chime in. i would really like to get it running through the ecu though.

thanks,
tom

• Sponsors (?)

I have also read that some of the A9*'s can control an electric fan.
However, not all of them seemed to have been equipped for it.

I remember another post by JRichker in which he couldn't get it to work.
I have read other posts claiming it worked great.

I will see if I can find some links for you tomorrow... I need sleep, and this won't be an easy find for me (it hasn't come up in a while).

jason

Well, I have been looking but haven't found much...

Here is a schematic for the wiring...
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UCT6Rc...GTJv_BY-Z2mBHb7gc/Other/A9L Fan Schematic.jpg

Here is a link to some info on setting up an electric fan on an A3M computer...
http://eectuning.org/index2.php?url=node_info.php?rid=48

Now that I am thinking clearly, I am not sure I have actually seen a post from some one who made this work.
I believe it is still all just theory.
If it is being done, it isn't being discussed on any of the boards I frequent...

Sorry, I can't offer more, but that is all I can find...

If you do give it a shot, please let us know how it goes,
jason

i think thats one of those things you would need to "turn on" with a tuner. here's a couple more diagrams to add to the confusion:
A9L_e-fan_harness.gif

A9L%20Fan%20Control.gif

Attachments

• A9L_e-fan_harness.gif
    A9L_e-fan_harness.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 116
The problem is that the A9L diagram I have does not show a booster or driver transistor for the relay. The typical unboosted
current drive from any computer output is 8-16 millamps. The typical automotive relay requires 150 milliamps, which far
exceeds the current drive needed.

I will be glad to email the A9L computer diagram to anyone who is interested. It is too big to post by normal means and the
photo hosting site I use is down.

The problem is that the A9L diagram I have does not show a booster or driver transistor for the relay. The typical unboosted
current drive from any computer output is 8-16 millamps. The typical automotive relay requires 150 milliamps, which far
exceeds the current drive needed.

I will be glad to email the A9L computer diagram to anyone who is interested. It is too big to post by normal means and the
photo hosting site I use is down.

JR-
I wouldn't mind seeing the A9L diagram... I'll send you a pm with my email.

This is the kind of thing I would like to have on my site, even if I don't understand it :rolleyes:

Is it possible to increase the output to the 150mA range that is needed?
(may be a dumb question, but I know very little with this kind of stuff)

jason