Electrical Won't stay running in run position

stang82gt

Apr 25, 2022
Arkansas
I have an 82 GT and I dropped in a 93 roller motor with carb. Changed the distributor for correct one. I cannot for the life of me keep the car running in run position. Tried new ignition switch. Didn't help. I am not a wiring guy so I need some major help. If someone could guide me to what wires I need to test and what readings they should be that would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry nobody else has gotten to your question.

I am assuming that the engine runs with the key in the "start" position

A little more info would be helpful:
  1. Was the car running/driving before you swapped engines?
  2. What kind of ignition are you running? (Points, Duraspark, MSD, Pertronix, etc.)
  3. Are these ignition components known good items?
I would tend to think that the wiring may be such that you are only powering the ignition when the key is in "start" and not powered when key is in "run" position, but at this point this is a wild guess without some more info.

Sorry nobody else has gotten to your question.

I am assuming that the engine runs with the key in the "start" position

A little more info would be helpful:
  1. Was the car running/driving before you swapped engines?
  2. What kind of ignition are you running? (Points, Duraspark, MSD, Pertronix, etc.)
  3. Are these ignition components known good items?
I would tend to think that the wiring may be such that you are only powering the ignition when the key is in "start" and not powered when key is in "run" position, but at this point this is a wild guess without some more info.
Yes duraspark and yes

Good! Here's a link with a wiring diagram for putting a DS2 ignition in a classic Mustang (I put one in my 65). For the time being, ignore how it is wired to the ignition switch in this diagram, and confirm the other wiring connections (Red, Green, Orange, Purple, Black, White to coil, starter relay, and distributor) are good. If you have a volt/ohm meter, set it to ohms, and check each wire at both ends to make sure there are no broken wires or bad connections. Wires & connectors can get stressed with the plugging and unplugging of engine swaps.

In the meantime, I will try to find the wiring diagram for the 82 ignition harness online and verify the DS2 connections in your car. (I only have 1965, 1966, & 1986 diagrams from my past "projects")

Reactions: 1 user