Worth the upgrades?

Khis23

Dec 11, 2018
Utah
I’m interest putting a new motor (351 Cleveland) and new parts in my 67 mustang. If I do change out the original parts for different non OEM parts dose the value of the car go down?

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, I think numbers matching stuff on a 1-of-500,000 car is a waste of time. Anyone that thinks their drum brake, 289, 2 barrel carb, auto trans car is worth more stock than tastefully modified is dreaming. When I built my clone, I started with an extremely clean, one-owner fastback with a bench seat (1 of 256). I gave the stock 289 to my Dad, the trans to a friend, threw the stock brakes in the trash and parted out all the stock stuff I wouldn't be re-using on ebay. I promise the car is nicer than ever and more valuable than ever.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're concerned with restored value, keep the old parts. Bolt on items are reversible.

Personally, I think numbers matching stuff on a 1-of-500,000 car is a waste of time. Anyone that thinks their drum brake, 289, 2 barrel carb, auto trans car is worth more stock than tastefully modified is dreaming. When I built my clone, I started with an extremely clean, one-owner fastback with a bench seat (1 of 256). I gave the stock 289 to my Dad, the trans to a friend, threw the stock brakes in the trash and parted out all the stock stuff I wouldn't be re-using on ebay. I promise the car is nicer than ever and more valuable than ever.

good answers. personally my advice would be, if you dont like something out of the box, then modify it. if the factory had the stuff available at the time, you can bet they would have used it in these cars. so i say build like you like it, and enjoy the car, because by the time you go to sell it, it will have increased in value anyway, most likely by more than it cost you to build it.