• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

Worth the upgrades?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Khis23
  • Start date Start date Dec 30, 2018
K

Khis23

New Member
Dec 11, 2018
2
0
1
Utah
Dec 30, 2018
#1
  • Dec 30, 2018
  • #1
I’m interest putting a new motor (351 Cleveland) and new parts in my 67 mustang. If I do change out the original parts for different non OEM parts dose the value of the car go down?
 

D_specbrandon!

New Member
Dec 30, 2018
3
0
1
Seattle Washington
Dec 30, 2018
#2
  • Dec 30, 2018
  • #2
Well, typically yes, doing anything that isn’t oem to a collectors vehicle will reduce value, BUT, it all depends on the buyer if they would pay more for a more souped up car, and what they are looking for. Hope i was of assistance to you!
 

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Jan 1, 2019
#3
  • Jan 1, 2019
  • #3
If you're concerned with restored value, keep the old parts. Bolt on items are reversible.
 
Reactions: rbohm

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
3,415
63
109
Rogue River, Oregon
Jan 4, 2019
#4
  • Jan 4, 2019
  • #4
Personally, I think numbers matching stuff on a 1-of-500,000 car is a waste of time. Anyone that thinks their drum brake, 289, 2 barrel carb, auto trans car is worth more stock than tastefully modified is dreaming. When I built my clone, I started with an extremely clean, one-owner fastback with a bench seat (1 of 256). I gave the stock 289 to my Dad, the trans to a friend, threw the stock brakes in the trash and parted out all the stock stuff I wouldn't be re-using on ebay. I promise the car is nicer than ever and more valuable than ever.
 
Reactions: rbohm

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
Jan 4, 2019
#5
  • Jan 4, 2019
  • #5
WORTH said:
If you're concerned with restored value, keep the old parts. Bolt on items are reversible.
Click to expand...

zookeeper said:
Personally, I think numbers matching stuff on a 1-of-500,000 car is a waste of time. Anyone that thinks their drum brake, 289, 2 barrel carb, auto trans car is worth more stock than tastefully modified is dreaming. When I built my clone, I started with an extremely clean, one-owner fastback with a bench seat (1 of 256). I gave the stock 289 to my Dad, the trans to a friend, threw the stock brakes in the trash and parted out all the stock stuff I wouldn't be re-using on ebay. I promise the car is nicer than ever and more valuable than ever.
Click to expand...

good answers. personally my advice would be, if you dont like something out of the box, then modify it. if the factory had the stuff available at the time, you can bet they would have used it in these cars. so i say build like you like it, and enjoy the car, because by the time you go to sell it, it will have increased in value anyway, most likely by more than it cost you to build it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
New here from Maine
  • lobster
  • Mar 2, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
640
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Mar 5, 2026
lobster
L
P
67 Mustang, with the 302 want to convert auto back to the original manual
  • Pdunn
  • May 3, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
194
Classic Mustang Specific Tech May 7, 2026
Mcmahst
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
90
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
149
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
S
For Sale 2007 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE/137,797 MI/ 20,000+MI NEW ENGINE/BRAND NEW TIRES/$4500 OBO/WAUKEGAN, IL
  • Savage21!
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14)
Replies
0
Views
131
S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) Sep 10, 2026
Savage21!
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?