would the timing make the car sputter?

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
i replaced o2, tps, plug wires, but the rotor is suppose to be on 1 but its not so is that a posible reason?
i am going to change the rotor and cap to see if that happens. could it be the coil?

• Sponsors (?)

Incorrect timing would make the car sputter yes. If the distributor is one tooth off it's kind of like rotating all of the plug wires around to the next plug. Have you checked your timing with a light and the spout connector out? What does it say? Have you pulled the distributor since it ran good? I doubt it's the coil, but it's possible. I say be 100% sure about your timing before you replace any more parts.

An easy way to check quick is to scribe a mark that runs from the distributor base to the intake, and just make slight adjustments turning the distributor and see if that helps. You scribe a mark so you can set the timing back to where it was if it doesn't help.

charlesw6954 said:
nope never took out distib. i will move my rotor where the #1 wire goes

Okay... there is "kinda" two ways the rotor can go in there. But there is only one right way of course. The rotors little "foot" should sit all the way down in it's hole. There is another hole it lines up with, but it only goes in a little bit. If you never pulled the distributor than that's good to go don't pull it out or anything.

That happened to me too. What I did is turn the engine over (coil wire off) until the timing pointed pointed at 0*. Then I put the distributor in with the rotor pointing at #1. Maybe I got lucky, but it worked. Of course I had to advance it 10* once I got it in there.

i think i fixed it. well the problem stopped majorly but i am going to pul distrib out and re time it bye sticking my finger in #1 cyclinder. but the plastic part of the distib were the cap snaps too is cracking.