Yellowing Ford headlights

THOR74

Dec 5, 2009
Ontario, Canada
So what's the deal with Ford and the yellowing headlight syndrome. Ever since plastic headlights have been in use for almost 25 years now I have seen Ford cars suffer with this, including Tempos, Crown Vics, Mustangs, Lincolns etc. etc. Some got really bad.

I had this problem on my 1991. Surely by then Ford must have known, but instead they just kept on using them.

Other light assemblies, for the most part, do not appear to be affected by this.

I have 2 Chev Cavaliers (of all things), cheap cars, 1993 and 1995 here (not mine) and both have crystal clear headlight lenses.

Why the apparent long term commitment to those lenses that end up opaque and yellowed? Why not use a better plastic like everyone else once the problem became obvious?

• Sponsors (?)

the problem is on any car with plastic lights, ford, chevy, dodge, import.... doesnt matter really. it is natural oxidation and happens at different rates in different climates. Looking out my window at an 03 beetle with yellow headlights now, it happens.

This problem happens on nearly every car. Hell, my sisters and bro-in-laws Toyota Matrix and Sienna , the healights were fading after 3 years. It seems to me they are making them cheaper than ever. Probably to make people have to buy new ones... so they can get your $$$.

Answer this. Is there any company out there that makes Mustang Headlamp lenses out of glass? I would buy those even if they were $400. ****ers would last forever.

I run a detailing business and deal with this all of the time. It's actually very easy to correct. Meguiar's sells a headlight restoration kit you can use with a drill that works pretty good. You can even correct it by hand with some effort. If you want more info on different techniques, let me know.

Thanks 68keyblr. But I already know how to fix nasty looking lenses. Been doing it for years. But, you can only fix so much and can't get all the yellow out. I think the point of this thread is the fact that they get weathered out so easily. If they had glass lenses, you would NEVER have this problem.

I run a detailing business and deal with this all of the time. It's actually very easy to correct. Meguiar's sells a headlight restoration kit you can use with a drill that works pretty good. You can even correct it by hand with some effort. If you want more info on different techniques, let me know.

the meguiars kit kicks ass. even used that ball on my welds with some polish and they cleaned up REALLY well too

I agree with the all of the above + the plastics used in the early years are much different than today. Ford isn't alone with this and I also believe in maintenance. if you take care of them just like the paint and rest of the car they will stay clear for many years save for some road pitting. I'm living proof that Ford has just as a good a plastic headlight has anyone, take a look at my vehicles. They are washed all the time, waxed when needed and receive a dose of plastX plastic polish on them regulary. stand by for a little whoring :D

my contour 10yrs old & owned since new. not a daily but does see alot of sun..original Ford headlights crystal clear.
ry%3D400

my wifes '06 taurus again clean lights. this car does 95% highway duty through nasty winters and the plastic lights have held up fine.'
ry%3D400

and my DD '06 explorer. does alot of sitting, highway and general duty abuse and the lights on this one have held up great as well..

ry%3D400

I think if they had the better plastics in the past and some of the better plastic polish and other products they have today the older lights might have lasted better but they also need to be taken care of to last . I wish had a pic of my step-dads '05 F-150 his lights are getting really sad and faded but he never does anything to them, the truck is lucky if it gets a bath on a normal basis.

+1 greensvt

I held up my original 92 lenses for a long time. What got me to replace them was that they were getting tons of condensation in them and filling up with water. I drilled a small hole at the bottom of each, which helped but they still got condensation. The reflectors inside got ruined, and one of them had busted bulb glass stuck to the inside. When the lamps start getting too much moisture in them, eventually it's lights out...... because the reflector gets ruined.. as mentioned above.

I got resto lamps on mine now. Look really good. Not sure if I should touch them with the PlastX now or wait .. or maybe use something else. The Plastx might have an abrasive that could scuff up the finish. It might only supposed to be used on lenses with destroyed finish.

+1 greensvt

I held up my original 92 lenses for a long time. What got me to replace them was that they were getting tons of condensation in them and filling up with water. I drilled a small hole at the bottom of each, which helped but they still got condensation. The reflectors inside got ruined, and one of them had busted bulb glass stuck to the inside. When the lamps start getting too much moisture in them, eventually it's lights out...... because the reflector gets ruined.. as mentioned above.

I got resto lamps on mine now. Look really good. Not sure if I should touch them with the PlastX now or wait .. or maybe use something else. The Plastx might have an abrasive that could scuff up the finish. It might only supposed to be used on lenses with destroyed finish.

I have been using plasticX since day 1 on all my vehicles. I do it by hand and I haven't had any problems, I don't over use it and I don't think it's abrasive at all vs other products out there. take a look and this is on a 10yr old light don't forget..
ry%3D400

try on a small area. I use to keep them clean looking and it has uv protection in it.