yes another 5 lug conv question

MyBlackBeast

Oct 2, 2008
I did a 5 lug conversion on my 88 GT. I used 95 mustang parts with factory length Yukon axles and northracecars caliper brackets. My problem is the rear wheels are getting hot during normal driving conditions. Is it normal for the rear wheels to get hot? I had drums before and the rear wheels never got hot. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You didn't use anti-moan brackets? Then that's the problem. Those calipers are probably tweaked and the pad is rubbing the rotor at all times. I've seen cars start on fire because that gets so hot.

Put in the antimoans....

I ran my car up and down the street a few times before installing them. My brakes were awful, made a ton of noise, got hot etc...

Added the antimoans and it all cleared up.

I did have an issue once with the rear calipers getting hot and had a loud bang and something come off. A friend reset the piston in the caliper for me, and the issues went away. Never found out what fell off, but the caliper was smoking when I got to the car show... Yikes.

Put in the antimoans....

I ran my car up and down the street a few times before installing them. My brakes were awful, made a ton of noise, got hot etc...

Added the antimoans and it all cleared up.

I did have an issue once with the rear calipers getting hot and had a loud bang and something come off. A friend reset the piston in the caliper for me, and the issues went away. Never found out what fell off, but the caliper was smoking when I got to the car show... Yikes.

DITTO

The anti-moan brackets shouldn't have anything to do with this. Check with Richard from North Race Cars. I do not run the anti moan brackets, I have an 88 GT and did the rear SN95 disc brake conversion. I had the dragging rear pads too and saw a little smoke once. You need to go in and relieve tension from the spring mechanism on the fox body handbrake. The rear calipers have the tension built into them to help release the e-brake and they will fight the fox body e-brake spring mechanism unless you relocate the spring to relieve tension but not totally disconnect. I tell people this over and over, if you have a tech issue call Richard at NRC - he knows this brake conversion in and out!

J

The anti-moan brackets shouldn't have anything to do with this. Check with Richard from North Race Cars. I do not run the anti moan brackets, I have an 88 GT and did the rear SN95 disc brake conversion. I had the dragging rear pads too and saw a little smoke once. You need to go in and relieve tension from the spring mechanism on the fox body handbrake. The rear calipers have the tension built into them to help release the e-brake and they will fight the fox body e-brake spring mechanism unless you relocate the spring to relieve tension but not totally disconnect. I tell people this over and over, if you have a tech issue call Richard at NRC - he knows this brake conversion in and out!

J

could u please elaborate on this procedure you speak of? Im in the middle of doing front and rear cobra brakes, id hate to run into this issue and would rather take care of it now? What exactly needs to be done to relieve the tension from the fox spring mechanism? thanks

It's in the instructions from the M2300K kit.

Basically, you cut the spring from the e-brake and weld the pawl with the 3rd tooth engaged.

If i was home i'd post a link but idon't have it at my work PC