• Off-Topic Hangout

Your company will take care of you

  • Thread starter Thread starter COramprat
  • Start date Start date May 16, 2022
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
1 of 3 Next Last

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
May 16, 2022
#1
  • May 16, 2022
  • #1
No need to organize. Well...

24 Screenshots Of Management Being Awful To Employees That Will Make Your Blood Boil

Prepare to be appalled.View Entire Post ›
www.yahoo.com
 

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,511
2,925
173
Florida
May 16, 2022
#2
  • May 16, 2022
  • #2
COramprat said:
No need to organize. Well...

24 Screenshots Of Management Being Awful To Employees That Will Make Your Blood Boil

Prepare to be appalled.View Entire Post ›
www.yahoo.com
Click to expand...
Do you know how many "managers" I told to take a flying fk? Thats the whole point, you don't have to take it..
New company purchased a company where I was the TOP producing sales guy for 4 years in a row... New " manager" called me in and old me they were going to cut my pay in half.... I thanked him for motivating me ( man did that piss him off) then I walked down the hall, sat at an unoccupied desk making phone calls until I had a new job.. Walkd back into the dicks office and quit...... THATS what you do when your treated poorly.....
 
Reactions: HoustonGlock and AvalancheSVT

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
May 16, 2022
#3
  • May 16, 2022
  • #3
limp said:
Do you know how many "managers" I told to take a flying fk? Thats the whole point, you don't have to take it..
New company purchased a company where I was the TOP producing sales guy for 4 years in a row... New " manager" called me in and old me they were going to cut my pay in half.... I thanked him for motivating me ( man did that piss him off) then I walked down the hall, sat at an unoccupied desk making phone calls until I had a new job.. Walkd back into the dicks office and quit...... THATS what you do when your treated poorly.....
Click to expand...
You can also organize and stop it in it's tracks. It's all in the perspective.
 

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
10 Year Member
Apr 6, 2011
10,733
6,716
214
Hillsborough county
May 16, 2022
#4
  • May 16, 2022
  • #4
As a member of the IBEW I will say that the union has been very good to me.

I will also say that if a company treats its employees fairly and offers a reasonable wage and benefit package to EVERYONE not just management...
Then there is no need for a union in that case.
 
Reactions: COramprat, General karthief and Ronin38

Bullitt347

I have been doing it wrong this whole time
15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
4,020
3,018
204
Middle of Maine
May 16, 2022
#5
  • May 16, 2022
  • #5
I am not a fan of Unions due to my own personal experience with them.
I have always been good at negotiating the terms and conditions of my employment. They bring me in for an interview, and I end up interviewing them.
Current company is working out well. They raised the shop rate and automatically raised the pay of everyone in the shop. I made sure to thank management for being proactive. Saying please and thank you will get you a lot compared to other attitudes.
My tool box has wheels for a reason. I have no problem moving on to somewhere else that appreciates my talents.
Most employers treat employees as a liability. Find a place that treats employees as an asset instead.
 
Reactions: HoustonGlock, HotFox and Ronin38

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
May 16, 2022
#6
  • May 16, 2022
  • #6
Be your own boss. That way it’s your fault if your boss is a PITA.
 
Reactions: Ronin38, General karthief and limp

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
May 17, 2022
#7
  • May 17, 2022
  • #7
I've worked Union and non-union in two different areas. Construction I started as a painter. All I had was a wage and no benefits. I joined the IBEW as an apprentice. I had free medical, a retirement and a competitive wage. When I left construction and went to the airline industry I started non union at Continental. I met my wife about three years in. She was union at Northwest. She made more in wages, had more vacation time, paid holidays and free medical.

After about 20 years, we became union. My pay increases over the next 10 almost doubled my pay to 74k a year when I retired in 2021. Vacation and benefits were increased as well and the company still made billions a year.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220517-195335~2.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: HoustonGlock

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
May 18, 2022
#8
  • May 18, 2022
  • #8
I was both a union and non-union electrician. I was in the IBEW for the final year of my 10 year electrical career.


Changed careers and I'm engineering management now with about 12 direct reports. Being a manager sucks
 

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,511
2,925
173
Florida
May 18, 2022
#9
  • May 18, 2022
  • #9
Mustang5L5 said:
Being a manager sucks
Click to expand...
Baby sitting your fellow employees....... Its not as wonderful as it looks when you want to be there
 

Ronin38

Blow all the things!
15 Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
7,235
4,396
224
Dayton, OH
May 18, 2022
#10
  • May 18, 2022
  • #10
I've seen managers jobs. I don't want them.
 

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,511
2,925
173
Florida
May 18, 2022
#11
  • May 18, 2022
  • #11
Ronin38 said:
I've seen managers jobs. I don't want them.
Click to expand...
I really tried to be a good manager to my employees... Owner would not pay them fairly so they stuck me in the back..... LOL...
RETIRED, NO whiney employees. NO jerk bosses, and NO ass hole customers....... Its a great life
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
May 18, 2022
#12
  • May 18, 2022
  • #12
A trade union is advertising for journeymen with at least 5 years experience in mechanical trade fields.
They are offering $40/hr and a bunch of benefits.
So, $80 K a year without overtime, plus benefits?

Steamfitters & Plumbers Local Union 464 - Nebraska & western Iowa

LU 464 represents skilled workers in the mechanical trades protecting the rights of steamfitters and plumbers, industry integrity, and the wages and benefits of all its members.
lu464.org

I do not know how up to date the info on Omaha schools is, but “Dirty Jobs” don’t look so bad as a career option if Junior does not want to get a job that takes 4-6 more years of schooling.
https://govsalaries.com/salaries/NE/omaha-public-schools
The NEA has some work to do!
 
Reactions: 02 281 GT

HotFox

15 Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
1,068
701
164
SE Michigan
May 18, 2022
#13
  • May 18, 2022
  • #13
I was also a engineering manager with 12 direct reports until recently when I became unhappy with upper management and my manager I did not see eye to eye. I was very good to my employee's and treated them fairly. I am not one to brag or glout but most of my former team members were bummed that I was leaving most said they will be job hunting as they felt I was the only one that had there back. It will be interesting if there is fall out, but life goes on for both employees and companies. I found a non manager job that pays 25% better plus better benefits that is 90% work from home. I start next Monday.

Honestly I only have loyalty to myself and this has made me move my salary/hr rate forward fast.
 
Last edited: May 18, 2022
Reactions: HoustonGlock, Ronin38, Mustang5L5 and 1 other person

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
May 18, 2022
#14
  • May 18, 2022
  • #14
I’m going to make that same move myself…

I just need to wait for one project to close out due to various incentives.
 

AvalancheSVT

10 Year Member
Jun 12, 2005
573
37
49
May 18, 2022
#15
  • May 18, 2022
  • #15
my last gig had me painted as the scapegoat. i was a good teammate, stopping issues before they became issues, helping my peers, and when i left the girl who tried to get me fired caved, took time off to find a new job, and the other person i was helping got canned. they were down 6 software developers in 5 months. my old boss got demoted.

you may have to take some lumps but there is a line and if they cross it go elsewhere.
 
Reactions: limp and Ronin38

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,511
2,925
173
Florida
May 19, 2022
#16
  • May 19, 2022
  • #16
All of the places I have worked for are gone.....
I tried to find work when I was 60 ( wanted to work a few more years) and I had NO references as the places had closed up and the people I knew when I worked there were all dead or retired.... LOL.... It was interesting.....
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
May 19, 2022
#17
  • May 19, 2022
  • #17
limp said:
All of the places I have worked for are gone.....
I tried to find work when I was 60 ( wanted to work a few more years) and I had NO references as the places had closed up and the people I knew when I worked there were all dead or retired.... LOL.... It was interesting.....
Click to expand...
That’s a scary thought. My recommendation file is seriously out of date. My last boss retired, moved and subbed in a class for my daughter this year. I think the others are still alive, I hope.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
May 19, 2022
#18
  • May 19, 2022
  • #18
Ronin38 said:
I've seen managers jobs. I don't want them.
Click to expand...


On my agenda today....

  1. Prep for meeting with customer
  2. Make sure some of my other engineers are on target with some of their tasks as there is risk of dates slipping
  3. Deal with an employee who just doesn't show up to work (misses 2-3 days per week consistently) and yet finds every legal loophole to remain employed. The days he does show up he causes drama with other technicians. I've actually had to mediate "disagreements" between him and others


Next role will be a senior, non-managerial role. #3) above sucks up so much time it's not even funny.
 
Last edited: May 19, 2022
Reactions: HoustonGlock

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,511
2,925
173
Florida
May 19, 2022
#19
  • May 19, 2022
  • #19
Mustang5L5 said:
On my agenda today.
  1. Deal with an employee who just doesn't show up to work (misses 2-3 days per week consistently) and yet finds every legal loophole to remain employed. The days he does show up he causes drama with other technicians. I've actually had to mediate "disagreements" between him and others


Next role will be a senior, non-managerial role. #3) above sucks up so much time it's not even funny.
Click to expand...
And there is your typical Union employee.....
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,064
10,688
213
polk county florida
May 19, 2022
#20
  • May 19, 2022
  • #20
limp said:
And there is your typical Union employee.....
Click to expand...
And that makes him a bad guy??
 
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
1 of 3 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

How to Find Wholesaler Closeout Parts at RockAuto
  • RockAuto
  • Jan 24, 2022
  • Vendor Sponsor Forums
Replies
0
Views
846
Vendor Sponsor Forums Jan 24, 2022
RockAuto
Fox Battery relocation other than in the back??
  • Kid wita 5oh
  • Jan 30, 2022
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
7K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 8, 2022
Bill95
B
RockAuto.com Discount Code - Expires April 14, 2022
  • RockAuto
  • Jan 14, 2022
  • Vendor Sponsor Forums
Replies
16
Views
3K
Vendor Sponsor Forums Nov 17, 2023
ThinBlue502
F
Progress Thread I'm restoring my dad's fox body and I have some questions regarding my engine restoration
  • Fitzjack
  • Apr 5, 2021
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
39
Views
7K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 10, 2021
Willybill32
302 Engine build questions
  • Vulpes5.0
  • Apr 19, 2022
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
6K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 10, 2022
LEEDAY Boss
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Off-Topic Hangout
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?