You're not going to believe this!!!

FLA5.0

Jun 24, 2004
Saint Cloud, Fl
Yesterday I posted a thread titled "Rough idle driving me nuts", begging for help with an erratic, rough idle in my 93 5.0. This was due to the fact that I had been battling this problem for about two weeks. I had pulled codes 14 and 19 from the ECU and performed the following actions which did no good:

Distributor...replaced
TFI...tested-passed
IAC...replaced
plugs...replaced
plug wires...replaced and upgraded
(2)o2 sensors...replaced
MAF...removed /cleaned
EGR valve...removed/cleaned
throttle body/EGR spacer...removed/cleaned
gaskets for all the above...replaced
Timing..set to 12 deg BTDC
:bang: :bang:

Spent 300+ bucks and over 12 hours before I gave up and drove it 60 miles north to an old friend who owns a mechanic shop. Turns out the codes were actually 41 and 91...and the whole problem, (even the cause of the lean o2 condition), was a split vacuum line way up under the upper plenum!!!!!!! I AM SO STUPID!!! I guess it's true -- when all else fails...go back to the basics! BTW, Thanks White 95 5.0 for your help! :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

88stangmangt said:
how did you get that bad of a mess up???

I bought a cheap Actron OBD I scanner. Apparently right before the scanner flashes codes during the KOER test, it sends one "Dynamic Response" flash. I misunderstood this single flash to be a 1 followed by a 4. Code 14 pertains to a loss of signal from the PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup). Therefore, I replaced the entire distributor, wires and plugs. As I said, I found out later that the codes were 41 and 91...not 14 and 19. It just snowballed from there...oh well, all the extra hardware must have done some good, she runs better now than ever! :shrug:

FLA5.0 said:
Yesterday I posted a thread titled "Rough idle driving me nuts", begging for help with an erratic, rough idle in my 93 5.0. This was due to the fact that I had been battling this problem for about two weeks. I had pulled codes 14 and 19 from the ECU and performed the following actions which did no good:

Distributor...replaced
TFI...tested-passed
IAC...replaced
plugs...replaced
plug wires...replaced and upgraded
(2)o2 sensors...replaced
MAF...removed /cleaned
EGR valve...removed/cleaned
throttle body/EGR spacer...removed/cleaned
gaskets for all the above...replaced
Timing..set to 12 deg BTDC
:bang: :bang:

Spent 300+ bucks and over 12 hours before I gave up and drove it 60 miles north to an old friend who owns a mechanic shop. Turns out the codes were actually 41 and 91...and the whole problem, (even the cause of the lean o2 condition), was a split vacuum line way up under the upper plenum!!!!!!! I AM SO STUPID!!! I guess it's true -- when all else fails...go back to the basics! BTW, Thanks White 95 5.0 for your help! :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

I had the exact thing happen to me...even the same hose in the same "hidden" location! I was so happy to have the return of touchless starting and a rock solid idle!!!

Near the driver's side shock tower...It's got a black cover on it, and says "EEC Test Port" I think...

Sounds like you did a very thorough tune up on it. Like you said, everything you did only made it run better. IMO that's always time well spent.

Daggar said:
Ya just gotta love Walmart special code readers. No more dot-dot-dash-dash-hooey. Just code numbers. :D

i still use an analog voltometer lol.... sometimes it takes me a couple times to get the codes cause i misinterpret them

oh well this is why i bought a PMS lol (well not the only reason)

HoodStrype said:
Ummm... excuse me, why is this thread 2 years old???
Thanks!

Because enyawix opened the thread back up to ask a question which by the way, is exactly what you're supposed to do.

Search first
Reopen old thread vs. starting a new one

Welcome to Stangnet enyawix. It's nice to see a new face that actually knows how to use a forum from time to time. :nice: