Engine 1999 Cobra: Rebuild Or Replace

jgonzal88

Jun 7, 2016
I recently purchased a 1999 Cobra with a knocking sound. The engine has been taken out and two pistons were damaged and one rod. The crankshaft also has some wear. It did not break but was severly worn due to the rod breaking. The block and the heads are fine. The car does have 150,000 miles on it.

I want to rebuild the engine as close to stock as possible but if it cost a little bit more for something better I'm all ears

I have a guy selling me a 20/20 crankshaft for $225. I have another that will repair mine for $125. I also just asked auto zone and they have it for $234. What is better?

Since only two pistons are busted, do I replace those or all of them?

As you can tell, I'm a novice at all of this but with that said I want to learn as much as possible

• Sponsors (?)

what are your ultimate goals with this car?

I want a nice solid daily driver. I'm upgrading from my 1999 V6. I would like to mod the engine eventually, but because I'm getting married in 22 days and I just purchased a home (duplex) that will have to wait. I just want the car up and running up to factory specifications as cheaply possible without skipping out on quality. I don't plan on buying another car soon. With that said, if a potential buyer offers something reasonable I'm willing to part with it since after repairs I should still be under $5,000.

Additional Comment:

Oh, and the autozone crankshaft I was quoted for was for a cast iron block. I think 1999 cobra (mine at least) is an aluminum block. The price with taxes and core was $430something. I'm pretty sure the one that guy is selling me is one that has been refurbished/fixed. Why would he be willing to loose $200?

Last edited: