Horse Sense -  66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion

Progress Thread Horse Sense - 66 Coupe To Fastback Conversion

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Nov.11 2013 IT ROLLS

i cleaned up the old suspension and bolted it back in so i could roll it out of my paint booth. :spot:
_MG_4071.JPG
_MG_4073.JPG
_MG_4074.JPG
_MG_4075.JPG
_MG_4076.JPG
_MG_4077.JPG

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Sponsors (?)

well i was digging through my paints ,my secret stash .can't figure out when i bought it but i found 3 gallons of Centari Candy apple red that have never been opened. i was planning on Wimbledon White and guards man blue. i have plenty of blue but the white i have would be very close . it looks like i will go ahead and paint it Candy apple red and white stripes .the whether is turning bad fast so i may have to wait until spring .i had a 65 that was Candy apple red and it showed very well .17 first place trophies and one second place, that i lost to my black 66 GT coupe. i guess you cant get two first place trophies in the same show:rlaugh:. my 65 had Shelbys crew chief Garry fooled .he asked me if it was a real Shelby? i told him it was a replica .he said nice job i thought it was the real thing .the next day i was told by Steve Davis that the man him self saw the car when i wasn't there and said it was one of the finest replicas he had seen ,talk about a spirit lift . i think i will try to replicate it and hope it turns out like the first one.

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Dec. 29 2013 vent covers in place

one thing i forgot to consider while making my covers was when shaping my covers on the English wheel ,the metal shrinks in size as the curvature is formed . i got lucky ,all the rivets worked ,just barely . they look a lot nicer formed to match the curvature of the quarter,rather than being a flat panel just riveted in place. i used a few aluminum rivets to hold them in place as i drilled the rive holes so they would not move around, they will drill out easily. the next problem will be when...

March 18 2014 Hood Pins

It's been a while since my last update ,the weather is finally clearing up .
I bought the hood pin kit from Stang-Aholics ,it's a Scott Drake kit in stainless steel and it is nice . The pins bolt into the hood bumper bracket ,you need to drill them out to 1/2 inch first .The hood bumper then moves to the first fender mounting bolt hole .I just screwed the cable for the pin clips right beside the hood bumper mount.
_MG_4396.JPG

I used my hole saw kit and drilled a 3/4 inch hole...

Reactions: 1 user
I've read through this thread before, but I keep running through it just for the pictures; very inspiring. What kind of primer do you use and where do you get it?
I think it is called Colar but i would have to check . It is from Dupont . It is very hard to sand but bonds to bare steel very well .Once you scuff off the top it sands easily and feathers out great. They change the primers and paints so often here in Cali i never get to use the same thing twice .

Last edited:
Reading through this I am completely floored by how casually this is knocked out. Other builders act like they are building Rome in a day when they fill a rusted panel. Terrific work, and as a novice builder, "intimidated" is the closest my reaction is to this. This is amazing stuff.

WOW, I just read all this thread and all I can say is wow. Kudos to you and your ability to do this. I thought my Mustang was a basket case but what I did was not as extensive as your project. All my welding was done by my body man. I'm amazed by people who can do this. It truly is art in my mind.

you continue to amaze and inspire good sir. My 68 coupe is within a few days of be ready for the paint shop. Only issue now is finding a shop here in MD that actually understands these cars and has the space INDOORS to store her until it gets pretty. My wife has dubbed her the mistress since I spend so much time with her.

you continue to amaze and inspire good sir. My 68 coupe is within a few days of be ready for the paint shop. Only issue now is finding a shop here in MD that actually understands these cars and has the space INDOORS to store her until it gets pretty. My wife has dubbed her the mistress since I spend so much time with her.
Depending on the color you decide to paint , you could call her, THE LADY IN RED

actually i will be doing two at the same time this time ,this one is mine .it is a 66 C code -289 2v.
a stang net member needed patch panels so i went ahead and removed the roof ,it was just easier that way. this one needs a floor and outer wheel tubs but every thing else is solid.
the other is a 66 i think ,and belongs to a friend .he has already done some sheet metal replacement so i am not real sure what i will still need to replace on it. two at the same time should not be a big deal ,i will do a part on one then move to the other and do the same piece
so the measurements will stay clear in my head:crazy: he is supposed to bring it out monday.
the only problem i see right now is a lot of the Dynacorn metal is on back order and no one can say when it will be available,not long i hope. Edit ..I found a couple of before pics ,this is how it looked before i started cutting it apart .
IMG_3187.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG
_MG_3321.JPG
_MG_3322.JPG
_MG_3323.JPG
any more ideas on my fuel gauge problem or are you stumped too

HELP!!!!!!.....I am in need of help.....I have been trying to figure out this fuel gauge problem and have finally came to a conclusion....my fuel gauge and sender works fine until I put fuel in the tank....then it screws up......has anyone else ever heard of this problem????

Horse sence , you stated in post #65 dated 7 / 29 / 13 , that all the interior parts needed were available now from Dynacorn to do a F/B conversion , I have searched the Dynacorn site from top to bottom and I can't find the parts , parts like the water troughs ,floor seat brackets ,inside door pillar piece , ect. can you help ? part #'s or what ever ?

Not sure of the part Numbers but they are available i saw them in the catalog at Stang-Aholics and they are expensive .The floor seat brackets and the fiberglass brackets are in a kit that is over $200 . Door openings were also listed . I will see if i can get the part numbers .