Horse Sense -  66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion

Progress Thread Horse Sense - 66 Coupe To Fastback Conversion

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

sept.27 brake ducts are in place

_MG_3868.JPG
_MG_3870.JPG
_MG_3872.JPG
_MG_3873.JPG
_MG_3874.JPG
_MG_3876.JPG
i picked up a 3 inch hole saw . marked the location for the duct ends and cut them out . the drill bit broke on the driver side wheel tub but didn't do any damage . i sealed the duct ends with 3 M sealer and pop riveted them in.i will find a different hose though, the ones with the kit were just way to thin for me .i ordered the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Sponsors (?)

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Oct. 3 sprayed bed liner

_MG_3908.JPG
_MG_3909.JPG
_MG_3911.JPG
i sprayed the bed liner today. one gallon did the inside floor,fire wall and the trunk floor . it took most of the day to mask it off. i wish they made masking tape square instead of round,i had to keep climbing in and out of the car chasing the masking tape every time i dropped it:rlaugh:. it can be taken off the rotisserie now ,if i can clean up enough pieces to put the old suspension back ,for now.

Oct.18 2013 primered a few pieces

_MG_3925.JPG
_MG_3927.JPG
_MG_3932.JPG
_MG_3928.JPG
_MG_3929.JPG
_MG_3934.JPG
i haven't had much time to work on it lately ,been carpeting the house .
had to put down a new floor first .what a job :nonono:

i primered the end caps and side scoops and bolted them on ,just to keep them safe for now. i fit the R model front valance to the dynacorn fenders. the fenders needed a lot of work to reshape the...

Oct.21 2013 hood hinges and hood

_MG_3941.JPG
_MG_3942.JPG
_MG_3943.JPG
_MG_3940.JPG
_MG_3946.JPG
i bolted on the hood hinges and the hood . i had to make the slots in the hinges about 1/8 inch longer. i figured on that because a fiberglass hood is usually thicker than a steel hood so the hinges need to go lower. i ran a tap through the bolt holes in the aprons first to clean out the epoxy primer .i found to put the hinge springs on ,take a large box...

Oct. 25 2013 interior fiberglass

_MG_3974.JPG
_MG_3977.JPG
_MG_3978.JPG
well i got the last pieces i was missing for the interior fiberglass. it fit right in place .i used the old blue panels to trim the new ones for the roll bar,perfect fit. i just used self drilling dry wall screws to attach every thing
for now .they are a little bit smaller than the trim screws and they drilled them selves .all i have to do is remove them and replace with trim screws.
the upper vent covers have...

Nov. 5 2013 more primer

_MG_4033.JPG
_MG_4034.JPG
i finally got some time for me today .i sanded down every thing but the two front fenders and the hood and primerd them .i didn't primer the inside face of the doors because this primer would fill in the grain .i will try to get most of it bolted on the car tomorrow. then comes the fitting of the fenders . i will primer the hood and fenders at the same time later. i can't wait to see it all in one color.

Nov.6 2013 the doors are on

i bolted the doors ,the trunk lid and the rear valance on today .i need a little readjustment on the trunk lid but every thing went back about where i had it before .to bad it still has to come apart one more time for paint. the hinges will stay in place so that will help for final assembly after paint.
time to start fitting those Dynacorn fenders.
_MG_4039.JPG
_MG_4040.JPG
_MG_4044.JPG
_MG_4042.JPG

Nov.6 just makes me angry

i replaced the battery apron some time ago .i tried to fit the pass. side fender :mad:. look the fender apron holes are already punched ,yeah right ,punched in the wrong spot:nonono: come on people if you are going to take the time to make dies to stamp something like this out ,take the time to do it right. i suppose it is partially my fault ,i should have checked it before i welded it in . this fender is the ford tooling, see the stamp? the top where it meets the door has a 3/8 inch gap .the...

Getting the metal right is going to be fun! We had same issues with our fenders, word on the street is the regular reman fenders actually fit better nowadays than the Ford tooling.
these fenders are supposed to be made with the old tooling but i can't see it. the tops are flat ,no arch like the hood has .the gaps are terrible . i bought a lot of the old ford fenders when they were still available and they fit nice compared to these things .

Nov.7 2013 fenders have been gaped

been a long hard day.i bet i hand each fender on and off at least 30 times each. a little welding , a little grinding and a whole lot of hammer and dolly work and they finally fit .the pass .side was the worst of the two and i think it came out the best .no bondo will be needed .driver side is not bad but it could be better .pass. side is a ford tooling and driver side is a Dynacorn. the Dynacorn fit up to the door a little better but it was flat on the top. i had to keep working the hood...

Nov. 8 2013 the last piece of the puzzle

i bolted on the front R model valance this morning ,easiest valance i ever installed .it is bolted at the fenders but only held in place with screws every where else for now ,i still have to take it back off for painting. it will pop rivet at the radiator support with 1/2 inch head rivets after painting.
a little helpful hint ,when installing fiber glass never tighten it down all at once . snug down the bolts and let it rest for a bit ,do this a couple of times .it will keep it from cracking....