Horse Sense -  66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion

Progress Thread Horse Sense - 66 Coupe To Fastback Conversion

• Sponsors (?)

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Aug.20 2013 radio opening repair

_MG_3664.JPG
_MG_3657.JPG
_MG_3658.JPG
_MG_3659.JPG
_MG_3660.JPG
_MG_3661.JPG
_MG_3662.JPG
i rolled the rear wheel lips and tacked them to the inner tubs,they came out nice. then i started on the butchered dash . there was a 1 inch hole to the left of the key switch that i filled . the radio open had been cut out . i had an old dash with a good radio opening so i cut out the piece that i...

Read the rest of this update entry...

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Aug.25 2013 upper a arm drop

_MG_3666.JPG
_MG_3667.JPG
_MG_3668.JPG
_MG_3665.JPG
i dropped the upper a arm mounting holes, 1 inch down and 1/8 inch back for 65-66 . simply one inch down for 67-70, you do not have to fill in the upper holes . start with a small bit so the holes don't wander off your mark then go to the larger bit . the a arm slides right in . there is a bit of flange around the holes inside the engine compartment that will have to be flattened so...

Sept 1 2013 sanded to bare metal

_MG_3685.JPG
_MG_3686.JPG
_MG_3688.JPG
_MG_3690.JPG
_MG_3691.JPG
i haven't had much time to work on it , but i did get it sanded down. i was looking at it the other day and noticed blisters and lines in the black coating and the weld through so i sanded a spot .i found that there was writing under the coating in either felt pen or grease pencil so the coating didn't stick. i sanded it off with a D A sander. this is realy...

Sept. 1 dent ...BE GONE!

i just could not stand it ,that dent had to go . i got out my stud welder ,another Harbor Freight goody. before you can say weld, it is welded .the tool i made from an old pop rivet gun .it pulls the metal up flush with the surrounding surface and stops. it took 6 studs and about 30 minutes and the dent was gone. a light brush with a file and it was almost perfect . no bondo will be needed. i hate bondo:nono: this thing works great on creases and dings but you need clean metal to weld .

i talked with my paint shop yesterday, they say they have a new red oxide epoxy primer .should have some buy tuesday. i should be able to sand blast and prime by next weekend . once primed i can take it off the rotisserie.next step will be what little body work there is ,pretty much just the panel joints. i think this one will go Wimbledon white and Guardsman blue. i already have the paint so that will not be a problem. i want to block sand it very well so it may take a week or two to have it ready to paint.

Sept. 12. 9 inch rear housing

_MG_3799.JPG
_MG_3800.JPG
i am still waiting on red oxide primer ,because every thing i order has to take forever to get here:fuss:, so i narrowed a 69 9 inch to 66 width. its pretty easy .just jig it up in the band saw so it cuts true, and then take the bearing retainer and ckuck it up in the lathe and cut it loose. two inches come off the 69 housing each side then the bearing retainer is cut down in the lathe to 1 inch and pressed back into the axle tubes with a...

Sept. 13. primer is here

my primer made it in to day.seems know one in my area uses red oxide so they don't keep it in stock.i will have to order a couple gallons and just tuck it away because i will be needing more. i will be sand blasting i hope, tuesday. then i will seal all the seams with 3M tan seam sealer,that will take at least 4 tubes .then i will fill the 4 panel joints and it will be ready to primer and remove from the rotisserie.

Im debating what color striping to do.. its gonna run from the hood vents and back over the car.. I want to run a dark charcoal I think.. don't want white. That color that is on the 2013 GT500 wheel is wicked but not sure how to make that color work out... see attached.

Helioscoatingsystem_zpsc8f642ae.jpg

Shelby.jpg

Sept.20 it is blasted

_MG_3828.JPG
_MG_3829.JPG
_MG_3830.JPG
_MG_3832.JPG
_MG_3831.JPG
4 1/2 hours ,doesn't sound like a lot of time but try holding a 2 1/2 inch high pressure hose with 90 psi at the nozzle for 4 1/2 hours and see how you feel :drool: i am beat. every thing cleaned up real nice. but the engine compartment,was a PAIN IN DA BUTT!! some one painted it with some kind of rubberized paint:fuss:i like to never got it off. i used 5...

i went back down to the shop last night and sealed all the seams. i would have liked to have sealed every seam on the car but 4 tubes didn't go as far as i thought it would. i at least sealed the floor ,around the wheel tubs and the cowl and fire wall so there will not be any leaks.
i did the body work today and spot primed .will probably take most of the day tomorrow but i should get it all in red primer.once i get it primed it will come off the rotisserie. next step will be sanding off the black on the doors and fenders and putting them in red primer .i don't think they have a dent in them so they should be easy.

Sept. 22 Aint she purdy in brown primer?

_MG_3834.JPG
_MG_3836.JPG
_MG_3838.JPG
_MG_3839.JPG
_MG_3844.JPG
_MG_3842.JPG
i got it primerd to day .i love this primer . it is about the stickiest stuff i have ever seen .couldn't hardly take a step in the paint booth,my shoes would stick to the floor. i sprayed the inside and outside first just encase it over sprayed,the out side will be sanded any way, it didn't. i sprayed the bottom last because it...

Sept. 27 brake ducts

_MG_3865.JPG
_MG_3866.JPG
_MG_3867.JPG
i picked up the brake ducts yesterday. i have to get a new 3 inch hole saw ,i want a nice clean cut hole. i thought i had a set of side scoops but i cant find them so i will have to order a new set. the flat bottom duct goes in the quarter scoop and just pop rivets in place ,on the inside of course. the curved pair go on the inner wheal tub from the inside and just pop rivet as well. i will seal them with...