Fox Intake recommendations

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
Hello everyone, while my car is down and out for a little I’ve been thinking of my next upgrade. I’ve got GT40Ps on the car right now and they were never supposed to be permanent but nothing else was in stock and I got them for so cheap I’ve ran them for a while now. I’m ready to get some AFR 165 renegades. My goal for the build is to favor more low to mid range torque and power rather than ultimate top end power as the car will never see a track.

Would you all recommend sticking with my explorer upper and lower? Or switching to a different intake all together? My goal right now is low to mid 300 wheel hp. Would the 24# injectors I have right now be good enough to support that? I favor drivability and fun low end power rather than high end power. I’m undecided on the cam so far as I’m not the biggest fan of my TFS 1.

Any input is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

There aren't a lot of options for intakes these days, but recommendations will likely be centered around your goals. Since you say this car will likely never see the track, it's safe to say it will spend a lot of time at lower RPM which favors a long runner style intake.

You've sort of answered your own question. You use won't really take advantage of the extra HP the holley/trick flow intake will provide, as the improvement in power gains over the GT40 family of intakes will likely occur over 5000RPM. Those intakes are running $800 for the TF and $1200 for the Holley at this time. It will give you a nice dyno graph, but based on what you said, you'll never use that extra power.

Out of the GT40 family, the Cobra/Tubular seem to flow maybe 10cfm better than the explorer based on dyno and flow testing i've seen recently. I know everyone cites the 15+ year old article stating they are "the same", but I don't believe this to be accurate based on what i've seen. Is it worth spending the money to get a Cobra/Tubular? IMHO only if you like that style intake.

Problem is I don't think you'll see mid 300 wheel HP with a GT40 style intake on those heads. I run a ported Cobra on TFS170's and I think i'm in the 300-325 wheel HP range. I think in order to get mid 300's I need to pick up a TF or Holley. If you want mid 300's at a useable street RPM, you'll likely need some additional displacement beyond a 302/306 combo.

There aren't a lot of options for intakes these days, but recommendations will likely be centered around your goals. Since you say this car will likely never see the track, it's safe to say it will spend a lot of time at lower RPM which favors a long runner style intake.

You've sort of answered your own question. You use won't really take advantage of the extra HP the holley/trick flow intake will provide, as the improvement in power gains over the GT40 family of intakes will likely occur over 5000RPM. Those intakes are running $800 for the TF and $1200 for the Holley at this time. It will give you a nice dyno graph, but based on what you said, you'll never use that extra power.

Out of the GT40 family, the Cobra/Tubular seem to flow maybe 10cfm better than the explorer based on dyno and flow testing i've seen recently. I know everyone cites the 15+ year old article stating they are "the same", but I don't believe this to be accurate based on what i've seen. Is it worth spending the money to get a Cobra/Tubular? IMHO only if you like that style intake.

Problem is I don't think you'll see mid 300 wheel HP with a GT40 style intake on those heads. I run a ported Cobra on TFS170's and I think i'm in the 300-325 wheel HP range. I think in order to get mid 300's I need to pick up a TF or Holley. If you want mid 300's at a useable street RPM, you'll likely need some additional displacement beyond a 302/306 combo.
I think that settles it. I’d be okay with low 300 whp or even high 200s as the car is just mainly a cruiser at this point. Do you have any intake gasket recommendations for the explorer/afr 165 combo? I’ve seen a lot of different opinions online and I can’t really come to a conclusion. Some say Fel pro 1250 some say felpro 1262s3. I see that the felpro 1262s3 doesn’t have a provision for the internal egr port which doesn’t bother me because I’m not running an egr but I’m not sure that it would be good to try and block it off?

• Clever
  • Happy
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
They are hard to find but this intake will meet all your goals if you can get your hands on one:

This dude says he has them in stock, :D
:lol: perfect! All kidding aside I do eventually plan to go boosted a ways down the road. I’m hoping dart still has blocks for sell by then lol

:lol: perfect! All kidding aside I do eventually plan to go boosted a ways down the road. I’m hoping dart still has blocks for sell by then lol

It's not arbitrary. I have this on a 347. It is everything you asked for and more. I had the SC on a mostly stock 86 block initially. I wore that thing out.

With it being available you have to ask yourself:

How much money
do I want to spend
in gears, intake, cam,
etc... when I can just
slap this on....
:think:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
It's not arbitrary. I have this on a 347. It is everything you asked for and more. I had the SC on a mostly stock 86 block initially. I wore that thing out.

With it being available you have to ask yourself:

How much money
do I want to spend
in gears, intake, cam,
etc... when I can just
slap this on....
:think:
You do make a good point. Thankfully nothing is set in stone yet but the $$$ amount keeps increasing every time I keep adding parts to the cart. I’ve always wanted to go boosted. Guess I’ll see how the old wallet looks here soon before I decide on anything 100%

You do make a good point. Thankfully nothing is set in stone yet but the $$$ amount keeps increasing every time I keep adding parts to the cart. I’ve always wanted to go boosted. Guess I’ll see how the old wallet looks here soon before I decide on anything 100%
You should def price out the HCI setup with all the do-dads and widgets that go along with it and compare it to bolting on that Kenne Bell.

To the Kenne Bell setup I would add:
255L High pressure in-tank pump Walbro
Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump (or some other power feed regulator for the fuel pump - This is to keep pump power/fuel pressure constant)
42 lb injectors (not needed for installation)
Custom Tune (not needed for installation)
Wideband O2 Sensor and Meter (not needed for installation)

You should have your 19# injectors cleaned, rebuilt, and flow tested before subjecting them to 70+ psi fuel pressures from the FMU.

Off the top of my head, thing you won't need:

New heads
Cam
Intake
Gears
Exhaust

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve heard good things about TMoss porting. I’ll have to check him out and that will most likely be what I end up doing.
I have a Tom moss ported systemax on my car . It works very very well . Was worth the money for sure .

IMG_9785.jpeg
HEVK9174.jpeg
KBDO6994.jpeg
IMG_9786.jpeg
IMG_5033.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Another vote for TMoss porting. Ask him if it would be worth sending both the upper and lower intakes as I cannot remember if there is a restriction past the throttle body on the Explorers. I will be sending him the Edelbrock Performer RPM II upper and lower on my Coupe at some point but in the middle of selling and buying a house and then will be building a shop so the car is on hold for a bit.

You should def price out the HCI setup with all the do-dads and widgets that go along with it and compare it to bolting on that Kenne Bell.

To the Kenne Bell setup I would add:
255L High pressure in-tank pump Walbro
Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump (or some other power feed regulator for the fuel pump - This is to keep pump power/fuel pressure constant)
42 lb injectors (not needed for installation)
Custom Tune (not needed for installation)
Wideband O2 Sensor and Meter (not needed for installation)

You should have your 19# injectors cleaned, rebuilt, and flow tested before subjecting them to 70+ psi fuel pressures from the FMU.

Off the top of my head, thing you won't need:

New heads
Cam
Intake
Gears
Exhaust
Noobz won't he need a lower intake for that kenne bell ? I heard the exploder lower intake bolt holes are off and causes belts to be thrown.

Noobz won't he need a lower intake for that kenne bell ? I heard the exploder lower intake bolt holes are off and causes belts to be thrown.
I had not heard of that until just now. It would require some investigation. I'm sure one of these guys probably knows that answer already.

My intake is a regular ole GT-40 lower.

Heya... Look what I found in the item description:

Must be an original 1993 Cobra or the original over the counter GT-40. Modifications can be made to fit the Explorer lower. Contact us for details.​

I’m really surprised they haven’t designed a pulley for that application. The explorer lower caused pulley misalignment as it’s set back a tad, but I would figure a redesigned pulley could account for that.

Send me an intake and I’ll design it up

• Hell Yeah!