Jiffy Lube busted

I had a nail in my tire last week and took the car to NTB (Tire Kingdom) since the air was not leaking. NTB said they would not fix the tire since the nail was within an inch or two of the edge. NTB recommended that the tire be replaced. I left without doing anything and took it to Pep Boys. They put the car on a lift, removed the nail and then checked the hole for leaks. NOTHING! The nail didn't go through even to the threads. :) I didn't want to pull the nail out at home and then be stuck using my spare. Lazy on my part, but at least I got a second opinion and no charge.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank God I've found a great mechanic in my area who specializes in Mustangs.

Until I found Gunter Automotive (Wayne Gunter), I would never let a shop work on my car unless they let me stand nearby and watch the process. Don't get me wrong, I was as friendly as can be, but I wanted to make sure I was paying for actual work being done.

My current shop is the only place I'll go to now and it is about 20 miles away. Worth every mile though. Labor prices is fair, work is always perfect, and Wayne always checks my car out to make sure it is done right. He just replaced my clutch earlier this week and didn't like the way the first clutch kit ended up, so he got another one and the second one was up to his expectation. Didn't cost me a dime and now I need to contact him to thank him for the good work and for how great the clutch feels.

There are still a few honest and reputable places out there, but I doubt those are shops with a national corporate name.

Thats true, there are honest and reputable places but they are just hard to find. The only time I left my car at a shop was to get my gears installed and I only trusted that place because this mechanic went to middle school and high school with my parents so they knew him pretty well. He did an excellent job and thats probably the only outside shop I would ever go to. On the plus, his shop is not even a 1/4 mile away from my house so it was easy to keep an eye on it.

Ive seen cars that were serviced at Jiffy Lube come to me for brake inspections and found that some idiot put power steering fluid or some oil based substance in the master cylinder, I assumed it was power steering fluid because the master cyl is in front of the steering wheel, needless to say,I seen this more then a few times and people have had to change ALL rubber parts in their brake systems, very expensive$$$. Always ask your shop to save the old parts or learn to do your own work especially the maintenence stuff. I couldnt do chit like that, I hope they ALL get fired and sued and be put on a black list or something so they cant get another job. They give honest techs and buisnesses a bad name.

i had a buddy take his car to jiffy lube for an oil change, but they NEVER PUT OIL BACK IN!!!! needless to say, the motor blew, and they denied the claim. they said theres no way to prove they forgot to add oil. my buddy did not pursue it in court and ended up having to buy a new crate engine.

bigcat said:
i had a buddy take his car to jiffy lube for an oil change, but they NEVER PUT OIL BACK IN!!!! needless to say, the motor blew, and they denied the claim. they said theres no way to prove they forgot to add oil. my buddy did not pursue it in court and ended up having to buy a new crate engine.
Sorry but I would not have let that slide, Im sure they've paid for a few motor r&rs.

bigcat said:
I'm sorry to hear that man.That's why those morons at jiffy
lube will never put their greasy hands on my car ever because I don't trust
them as far as I can throw them. :nonono:

our walmart had some issues when they first opened. Didn't put oil in cars and they blew up had to pay to replace them. And they used the wrong filters on cars that needed special ones like a Beetle and ****ed it up. haven't heard any horror stories latley. Think I hared they didn't tighten lug nuts either so when I got tires I pulled out and double checked them

Just last week i was working across from a belltire. the manager took the car for a test drive after the work was done on one of the cars. all of a sudden all the lug nuts poped off tire flew off and car was sitting on the axle... there are so many reasons why you shouldnt take your car to a shop. have pride in your knowledge and do it your self.

It's sad there are shops that will take advantage of you like that.

I'm an IT Director for a small chain of car washes and lube shops, and unfortunately we hear claims of these types of scams at other shops all the time.

You wonder how they can charge $14.99 or $19.99 for an oil change and still make a profit (Oil+Filter+Labor+Building Costs+Insurance)? Just so they can pull the consumer in a sell extra services they either don't need or are never completed.

actually, i've worked at a local grease monkey for about two years (before quitting because of what i like to call "the cattle proad incident")

but actually, the fule fuelter on that jeep (or at least the one thats recomended to be changed) is between a little in front of the rear axle if i remember correctly.

and also, the tranny flush they didnt do... well (if my memory serves me correctly) the auto tranny on that accord has a drain plug, in which they did a much easier REPEATED drain and fill procedure instead. not saying thas right, but thats just what they did... unless im an idiot, and that accord doesn't have a drain plug on the tranny.

not standing up for them, but it does seem like channel 4 is streching the truth a little bit.

carbed87 said:
and also, the tranny flush they didnt do... well (if my memory serves me correctly) the auto tranny on that accord has a drain plug, in which they did a much easier REPEATED drain and fill procedure instead. not saying thas right, but thats just what they did... unless im an idiot, and that accord doesn't have a drain plug on the tranny.

Regardless, they told the guy that they were going to use the machine .... even after the fact.

I know my mechanic very well, too Guero. As a matter of fact, he's posting on SN right now, lol. No one touches my car but me or my dad .... for these reasons. It would have to be a complete emergency for those bimbo's to even look at my car. Even then, I'd be watching like a hawk.