Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

If I've made a bad choice in a beer that I don't like the taste, I've got no problem either leaving it on the bar and ordering another, or pouring it down the drain. No way in hell I'll drink some of the citrus/fruit flavored ones, and the really bitter hoppy ones........

Drain cleaner.

Aww, man no citrus? You don't like blue moon?!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

If I've made a bad choice in a beer that I don't like the taste, I've got no problem either leaving it on the bar and ordering another, or pouring it down the drain. No way in hell I'll drink some of the citrus/fruit flavored ones, and the really bitter hoppy ones........

Drain cleaner.
You understand you are an abuser of alcohol at that stage, right?

Shortening the seat belt bracket on the right side, gonna take a bit more work on this side than the left. The rot was particularly bad here early in the build.
image.jpg

Got to have rear seats and belts guys, gotta give the grandkids rides when it's done.

So, here's the progress on the right side. The location of this frame rail is slightly outboard more than the left side, about 3/16".

Doesn't sound like much, does it? It sure adds to the tubbing on this side. In order to put the seatbelt bracket on this side, I had to actually split the floor along the frame rail and add a chunk to get the bracket inboard enough.
image.jpg

image.jpg

That's all I've done for today, probably going to go drink beer :eek: and visit with the wife for the rest of this evening.

Tomorrow morning, the salvage yard! Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here's a kinda cool light weight option if you don't find a hatch out in the yards

Fiberglass
image.jpeg
Here's the link:

http://www.carid.com/harwood/body-kits-mpn-26500.html?gclid=CM7ZisWbtcwCFYQ2gQod6pED1Q
Thanks Chris, there are two types of FG hatches I've seen, racing and non-racing. Racing ones don't have the reinforcements that make it a useable liftgate. I think that is one of those, they are usually cheaper too.

One thing though, they are so freaking light. I picked up a racing door and literally could do it with one finger.

Ok, crap.

I get all the way out to the jy in Stillwater this morning, what do I find? A big fat CLOSED sign on the gate! A salvage yard that closes on the weekend.......

"But, since your out here", my brother says.....

I'm thinking I was suckered. Spent the next few hours moving sht. My brother is the oldest of eight kids, and I'm the youngest. He turned 65 last year and can play the "I'm getting old" routine with me.

He's my brother, I love him, he helped me back when I was a DS teenager. My turn to payback.

When a person is 53, he shouldn't be looked at as the kid that can do the crap work, should he? Wait, I think I'm going to cry:cry:.

Ok, I did grab a set of Goodyear F1 tires from my brother he had sitting at his shop though. These tires are 285/35/19's. The widest part of the tire measures right at 12". That's about 305mm's at the widest. I still have almost two full inches of space in the tubs. I believe I will go with a 315 just to play it safe. Though, I do like the 19" wheel size.

I will be using a 245 with eighteens on the front.

Anyhow, for the whores, here's pictures with the 285's stuffed up in the tub, look at all that room!

The place where the tire would come in contact now is immediately above the seat belt bracket, and about three inches behind the shock tower. I could change that, but I'm not.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Keep in mind, 315/30/19's will be a little taller than these by about an inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You should have those tires mounted on whatever wheel choice you go with since they were free, then test fit to see just how much room you actually have to grow for sure. Im sure they can be stretched onto a 13" rim, I mean all those "stanced" peeps do it.

so Dave I've been thinking about all those pictures you posted about working while drinking a beer.... and I figured what the heck I'll let the wifey work while I enjoy a cold one..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users