Need Guidance

I just need some help. Im trying to figure out what I am doing for my winter project right now and I just wanted to see your guys input. I have been looking at Thumper Heads but I dont know if that is the best head for me. Let me tell you a little about what I actually want to achieve. I know I have a heavy ass car, the main thing I am looking for is a car that will be a fun daily driver, that I could take to the strip maybe 3 times a year, nothing major. I just want a car that I have fun in. Also, I kind of need to beat my friends 05 STI. Also down the road I might plan on throwing in a shot of nitrous. But that wont be for a year maybe a year and half.

So my question is which heads and cam do you think will be best for my car?

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading,

-Dan

• Sponsors (?)

I havent been to the track yet but I have messed around racing my friend in his STI. 10 mph roll I stay at his passenger door up until about 65 mph then up to 100 I am like 2 cars back. I know with a shot of nitrous I will easily beat him but I would rather have an N/A setup first

Its tough to say but i would at least go with a set of GT-40 heads. TFS and Edel heads can be had for $999 if you look in the right places and are such great bang for your buck. Then a nice cam 2031 comes to mind and from a roll you will eat STi's for lunch. I did with my old set up.

a couple routes you can take like mentioned above.

cheap gt40p heads from tri state cylinder head, cheap used alum heads, cheap new alum cyl heads--pro comp etc...

me personally, if i knew i was running nitrous on a street car would choose the alum head route--either one. alum heads will be cooler in the chamber area and will reduce the risk of detonation when spraying in those "unplanned" moments.

so i say get some used alum heads, nice matched cam, decent intake(tmoss even), and a small shot should wax and sti pretty easily. i pull 2 cars on them on the highway---stoplight is a diff story---and i just have heads/cam.

Danman765432 said:
One thing I was really looking into was getting maybe a cheap set of eddies. The limit for everything including cam, heads, maf, throttle body, injectors, gaskets and liquids is about 1500-1700 for me.

p heads $450
e-cam, or suitable sub $150
lifters $120
maf $220
injector $280
gaskets $200
nitrous $500
afpr $100
tmoss lower $pm tom

a bit overbudget, but should be good for around 370rwhp on the spray

yeah I was thinking that budget is gonna be tight. Whitedevil said $999 for TFS heads 99% of places sell them for 1500 so that blows the budget right there. Not saying it ain't possible maybe I haven't looked enough.

But even going with cheaper heads its still gonna be close if not over.

Good luck with what ever you choose

We'll Dan coming from someone how knows STI's very good
and I also own a Mustang and a WRX.If your friend knows
how to drive and launch his 05 STI he will run a low to mid
13's stock out of the box.Everything equal you will lose everytime
I am sad to say but, I love mustangs too.I highly subjest running
AFR 185's cylinder heads,TFS stage 1 or 2 cam,and a TFS intake.
That should put you right with him if you can drive witch I think you
can if you are only getting beat by two cars at most.
Also consider some weight reduction like rear seat delete,lighter seats,
lighter wheels etc. Stickier tires will also help you alot from spinning.
With a 75 or 100 shot of Nitrous Express you will owen him anytime
you race him but, listen to this.
Think about it though if he can afford a 05 STI chances are he can mod
his car.Be very carefull though because he could do a turbo upgrade,
up and down pipe, or new maps etc. and it will surprize you when his turbo
does spool because just small mods on his STI really makes a big difference
so, carefull. Me and my cousin built a 722 whp 02 WRX that we turned into
a STI conversion and that is the car in my avatar.You would never it had
that much power until it was too late. Good luck with your winter project
though! :nice: