Tailpipes showing on GTs.

• Sponsors (?)

aaron11272 said:
Yea - DMAN's car looks sweet, but that is one of the few examples of a GT that looks good with the pipes showing.
I can't STAND it when someone cuts holes into a GT bumper!!!

well that's totally different :notnice:

Is it?

Roland69 said:
There is a guy in my town who cut his bumper to fit LX tailpipes...and the car looks just like mine

Speeds8erM-1 said:
I dont understand people's facination with exhuast tips. The GT rear bumper was CLEARLY not ment for tips to be seen yet every redneck cuts the hell out of the bumper or just mounts some tips that hang way down. Arrrggg.

I was just responding to 2 comments that were made...

I have no problem with:
a stock setup
a cobra bumper with straight pipes
DMAN's bumper

I hate it when people try to stick straight pipes on a GT with a stock rear cover. Hideous!

Yea I agree the GT bumper was NOT made for tailpipes. I dont like how my tail pipes show alittle, thatll be changed in the next few days though muahaha

The tailpipes NOT showing is a new thang... on fox bodys, only the 87-93 came with hidden pipes. Show them I say!!! Just not with factory bumper.

ps: my first 5.0 was an 86. Prrrrrrr fect car :)

DMAN is DMAN. He knows what up you mofo's... yeah he skrate like dat... my main man!

HoodStrype said:
The tailpipes NOT showing is a new thang... on fox bodys, only the 87-93 came with hidden pipes. Show them I say!!! Just not with factory bumper.

DMAN is DMAN. He knows what up you mofo's... yeah he skrate like dat... my main man!

:rolleyes: :shrug:

I have a subcription to mustang enthusiast magazine. and a month ago. they featured this one GT. purple, horrid color. with a stock GT bumper. with Big holes cut into it to have chrome tail pipes stick out like 2" past it.

ABSOLUTE WORST IVE SEEN.

if you get a cobra bumper, or that dech(first time seen/heard of it) bumper and do tailpipes. thats awesome. looks terrific.
If you hang them out under a gt bumper. i think its ugly.
And if you CUT holes to have tailpipes stick THOUGH. thats just the worst thing you can do in my opinion..

this is mine if you get down low enough it kinda looks like lx pipes....

2240366_78_full.jpg

2240366_76_full.jpg

LOL this thread brings back some memories. I bought my first Mustang from a guy that was seriously stuck in the '80s, and i don't mean in a good way either. He had the "skullet" (bald but still long in the back). He was a piece of work, cool guy but had some issues.

Anyways, i got my coupe with the bumper all chopped up for tail pipes....funny thing is when the exhaust needed replaced, he didn't cough up the cash to replace the custom exits out back, so he just ran the turndown style again, so there were these bigass holes in the bumper for NO reason. :nonono:

I ended up trading this car for an '83/351W racecar.

attachment.php

HoodStrype said:

Dis dude he's crazy smart...little crazy crazy, but crazy smart.

I think i'm with everyone else....i like seeing tail pipes but i don't think the GTs look right unless you get a Cobra bumper cover. You have to angle them and let them come down so far that i don't think it looks right. Plus, i think tail pipes should come straight out unless you're driving a truck or something....on a 'stang they should be the straight out kind like an LX. PLUS when you turn them down, you change the sound a little because it bounces off the ground.

Mine are very hidden also. It's one of the things I like about the GT rear bumper cover, it hides the gas tank and the other stuff.

Let me see if I have a picture

Edit: It's not the best picture due to the angle. But my pipes are not visible expect from this view
Tire.JPG

With a GT stock rear bumper cover, tailpipes should NOT show at all. I'm not saying that I don't like tailpipes showing, because I like to see the tail pipes, but not on a stock GT rear. If you have a Cobra rear cover on, then you can show off the pipes because it was made to.

With GTs I think it looks tacky if they cut holes to show straight tail pipes or leave the turn downs hanging out. When I installed my cat-back I made damn sure you couldn't see the pipes hanging down from under the cover.