Wouldn't Ya Know It, High School '89 Gt Look Alike Nearby

I dont see that ever being the case, honestly. Pre 80's cars being made of all metal is where the cool factor comes from. Once cars like our beloved foxes started having plastic bumpers and super cheap interiors, the collect ability just isnt the same IMO. Sure, we fox nuts like them and seek out nice ones, but I dont ever see them getting to the concourse restoration category.

Oh I agree with you on that. I don't see these cars drastically going up in price, just speculating on what I think it would take to for that to happen. I'm by no means an expert, but my opinion is that clean "survivor" types will hover around the same price point we are seeing now + inflation.

• Sponsors (?)

Oh I agree with you on that. I don't see these cars drastically going up in price, just speculating on what I think it would take to for that to happen. I'm by no means an expert, but my opinion is that clean "survivor" types will hover around the same price point we are seeing now + inflation.
All the 80s crapmobiles are going up. Got a hair up my butt for a clean gbody and those suckers are running around 10g here for a clean one. Even the fbodies are getting up there. 10 years ago you could have had your pick of disposable bic razor 80s muscle for around 4-5k. Not so much anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
wavey.gif

I know a guy that has a rust free 80's fox for cheap.

Reactions: 4 users
Bossman interested in my winter mobile is gonna let me know tomorrow. If he ends up not wanting it, I will probably let the fox go. I guess I could throw the Explorer on craigslist, but I hate the hassle involved with that. All in all, Im giving him a helluva deal on the Explorer, so my fingers are crossed.

All the 80s crapmobiles are going up. Got a hair up my butt for a clean gbody and those suckers are running around 10g here for a clean one. Even the fbodies are getting up there. 10 years ago you could have had your pick of disposable bic razor 80s muscle for around 4-5k. Not so much anymore.

Yah but what are people actually paying for them? I can't speak for any other cars, but I have seen several foxes posted for the last two to three years that still show up on CL. Why? Because they want 8k for a an original paint, some rust, "tastefully modded" fox. And only a sucker will pay for it (I know they are out there), but I don't think that sucker is the average fox buyer. Wait a minute....Anyway here is a car that I think is right on the money and ever since I bought my fox three years ago I haven't seen much movement in the advertised price of these types of examples maybe + 1k for an aero nosed car

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5781093144.html

Yah but what are people actually paying for them? I can't speak for any other cars, but I have seen several foxes posted for the last two to three years that still show up on CL. Why? Because they want 8k for a an original paint, some rust, "tastefully modded" fox. And only a sucker will pay for it (I know they are out there), but I don't think that sucker is the average fox buyer. Wait a minute....Anyway here is a car that I think is right on the money and ever since I bought my fox three years ago I haven't seen much movement in the advertised price of these types of examples maybe + 1k for an aero nosed car

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5781093144.html
I think 8k is right where a clean fox will sell. Figuring the costs of restoring paint, interior, and a mild engine rebuild you are going to be in for 4-5k easily.

Reactions: 1 users
This past weekend I was at a pretty large car show, problem with these cars is most people don't know what to make of them, the old timers don't even realize it's a Mustang, real young kids never even heard of them. The people who appreciate them at all are the one's who used to own them or knew someone who did. It would seem the pool of potential buyers is kinda small, but that pool has some discretionary money now and 7-9 thousand dollars for a really clean turn key car with the popular mods won't break the bank. But I don't believe they are ever gonna reach the heights of late 60 and early 70's cars but that's what I thought about late 70's early 80's F body's, now they're kinda ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 users
And then you have the dreamers......https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/5816637272.html

'92 lx hatch, automatic, 13k??? hahahahaha.......

I'll see that and raise you one on the delusional scale:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5807802957.html
$10k for a 4cyl convertable with sunburned paint, faded and dirty interior, ripped drivers seat, the odd rust spot, and 166k miles. I think there are one too many zeros in the price. This one thing has been on craigslist for quite some time now.

I love the 96-98 Cobras. When I was in HS, the 1998 Cobra was out and I remember when I was in search of my Fox Mustang, going to a dealer that had a 90-93 GT on the lot. The dealer instead took me to look at a Chrome Yellow '98 cobra vert and convince me and my dad to buy it. I really did want it, but I was 17 at the time and $25K was a lot of money.

Ever since then, I've wanted a chrome yellow 1998 cobra vert. Shifter, exhaust, and drive that baby all summer long.

I love the 96-98 Cobras. When I was in HS, the 1998 Cobra was out and I remember when I was in search of my Fox Mustang, going to a dealer that had a 90-93 GT on the lot. The dealer instead took me to look at a Chrome Yellow '98 cobra vert and convince me and my dad to buy it. I really did want it, but I was 17 at the time and $25K was a lot of money.

Ever since then, I've wanted a chrome yellow 1998 cobra vert. Shifter, exhaust, and drive that baby all summer long.

I agree Mike, for the price you get much more car. I would love a white cobra with deep dish fr500s, but I love foxes more. Did you see the 93 cobra for 15k?

I agree Mike, for the price you get much more car. I would love a white cobra with deep dish fr500s, but I love foxes more. Did you see the 93 cobra for 15k?

I agree. You get way more for your $$$. The more rigid chassis alone is well worth it. If I wanted to build a nice motor, I'd just get an 94-95 Cobra, otherwise a stock car I'd just go for 96-98 Cobra. Better brakes, I like the styling, and the DOHC motor sounds incredible with an aftermarket exhaust.

No I must have missed that one. Link? Mine isn't on there anymore. Coworker told me he was getting annoyed with the emails

EDIT: I found the cobra. I get the feeling that car is a 10 footer. 100K miles and some rust on the exhaust. Not sure I'd pay $15K for a north east car

Last edited:
It's easy to buy a cheaper Fox and get it up to $8K pretty quickly. Just replace the worn out suspension, brakes, tires, and get the engine running right and you can easily have a couple grand just in parts. Factor in paint and engine mods and you can blow past $10K easy.
The problem with buying an $8K car that's already done is finding one done the way you want it. If you are going to redo the modifications the way you want them or get new wheels or you just like to do some work and make the car your own ... once again you're past $10K. Also, when you're looking at Foxes it never ceases to amaze how poorly done the modifications are on the majority of cars you look at.
My favorites are the typical worn out cars that are worth $3-4K. But, at some point in their lives they had a supercharger put on and that makes them worth $12K now.

I agree the 94-04 cars are probably the best bang for the buck. I personally don't care for them, but you can get much better cars cheaper.

Last edited:
It's easy to buy a cheaper Fox and get it up to $8K pretty quickly. Just replace the worn out suspension, brakes, tires, and get the engine running right and you can easily have a couple grand just in parts. Factor in paint and engine mods and you can blow past $10K easy.

Well, you bring up a good point. I know if I had to build up another Fox like mine it would take far more than I could sell it for. Finding a good clean stock car is difficult enough, and once you start throwing mods at them the total adds way up.

In my opinion, there are certain standards a car needs to be to command a specific price. For example, a $10K fox should be 5-lug swapped, with Cobra brakes, and not just wearing 5-lug rotors and drums. There's an easy $2K in brakes and wheels just to get to that point. Also, no 4-cly conversions, and I'd even be hesitant at AOD-to-T5 and MAF swaps given what I've seen over the years with cars done wrong. Maybe some bolt-ons, exhaust, 3.55-3.73's, a Cobra intake manifold, and a clean interior with some different seats....

Now, if I came across a $10K stock fox, vs a $10K modded fox with those particult tasteful mods, I'd go for the latter. Would just save me the money from doing it myself.

Well, you bring up a good point. I know if I had to build up another Fox like mine it would take far more than I could sell it for. Finding a good clean stock car is difficult enough, and once you start throwing mods at them the total adds way up.

In my opinion, there are certain standards a car needs to be to command a specific price. For example, a $10K fox should be 5-lug swapped, with Cobra brakes, and not just wearing 5-lug rotors and drums. There's an easy $2K in brakes and wheels just to get to that point. Also, no 4-cly conversions, and I'd even be hesitant at AOD-to-T5 and MAF swaps given what I've seen over the years with cars done wrong. Maybe some bolt-ons, exhaust, 3.55-3.73's, a Cobra intake manifold, and a clean interior with some different seats....

Now, if I came across a $10K stock fox, vs a $10K modded fox with those particult tasteful mods, I'd go for the latter. Would just save me the money from doing it myself.

In a way I agree. It's really hard to find cars where the previous owner actually did a good job with mods. But, those few should command extra money. I think in a lower to mid priced car, I'd prefer to see zero modifications. For a modded car I'll add caster/camber plates, new struts/shocks, ball joints and bushings to your list. Those things should be spot on before any other mods can make it a decent car to drive. If the car has power adding mods, they should have done something to the rear as well. To me, thinking those kind of things out is one sign that the PO may have done a decent job.