‘86 Fox Door Upgrade

Willybill32

But at least it's tight!
Jul 16, 2019
Lexington, KY
My ‘86 GT is ready for paint, but both doors and the hatch have some rust. The painter asked me to find some replacement rust-free doors and a hatch, which I’ve done. The original doors had roll-up windows and manual locks, but the replacement doors have power windows and locks, though I suspect much of the original motors and controls would need replacement. How difficult would it be to set the car up to work with the power windows and locks?

• Sponsors (?)

Probably more trouble than it's worth, but I will point to this thread...

Converting your power doors over to manual will just require replacing the regulators for the windows and swapping the longer rod extension for the interior lock from the old doors. (Just the plastic screw on piece, not the metal rod!) To go the other way doesn't necessarily look too hard, assuming that your '86 is the same as the 87+ models and the power door/window stuff is self contained and can easily be attached to the main harness. You would need a donor car in that case for the wiring though.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably more trouble than it's worth, but I will point to this thread...

Converting your power doors over to manual will just require replacing the regulators for the windows and swapping the longer rod extension for the interior lock from the old doors. (Just the plastic screw on piece, not the metal rod!) To go the other way doesn't necessarily look too hard, assuming that your '86 is the same as the 87+ models and the power door/window stuff is self contained and can easily be attached to the main harness. You would need a donor car in that case for the wiring though.

Thanks, 91TwighlightGT! Either way I go I’ll have to convert something, so it’s worth looking at using the power stuff.

The conversion of the new doors to manual is simply unbolt the guts of your original doors and bolt into new doors. No wiring needed to be added, no switches to be sourced.

Reactions: 1 user