01 Cobra Trans and Rear End Noises

You guys have probably talked about this a million times but unfortunatley they delete the SVT threads after a while......

I have a 01 Cobra that is stock cept for a short throw and a set of 4.10's in the rear (99% positive they are 4.10's) and I get some noises downshifting into first and second from a higher gear and also when i start off and shift into first and then also when i shift into second.....the noises not only come from the tranny but also the rear end (it sounds like i bought a POS :shrug: )

The car has also got 54,000 miles.....

I also get a strange clunk from the rear end if i let the clutch out rather quickly in any gear at any rpm (not drag strip quick, just not as smooth as daily driving) and dont know if thats bad or normal.......

Any input or guidance to where i can learn more about this would be awesome....hope i dont end up having to replace my whole driveline tranny back (if i do it gives me an excuse to swap one of ddperformance's Viper t-56's into it :nice: )

• Sponsors (?)

I think you do have a good excuse to upgrade to the T-56, some of the TR-3650s are very "hit or miss" in terms of reliability. I wonder if whoever installed your 4.10s may have done a crappy job too, might want to take a look at that.

Here's that huge thread over in the 4.6L section, discusses the downfalls of the TR-3650:
Link to "Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread" - Click me to visit

As far as the driveline "slop," you can take a look at the following page for some assistance:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ctfrench/Driveline Vibration.htm

G'luck! :cheers:

The day I test drove my '01; I came to a stop sign, I threw it in first and the clunk was so noticeable that it made my heart skip thinking the guy behind me hit me. But later I found that it's normal for those transmissions.

I'm not sure if it's normal for your car, since you have mods...mine is still stock and I'm use to the sound. :shrug:

tfritz- hey man, do you have any pics of your car ?? from the REAR. i just put on some MM 1-3/16'' wheel spacers,on the REAR. wanna see what it looks like with springs installed aslo. waiting for the H&R Sport Springs =]

01BlueCOBRA said:
tfritz- hey man, do you have any pics of your car ?? from the REAR. i just put on some MM 1-3/16'' wheel spacers,on the REAR. wanna see what it looks like with springs installed aslo. waiting for the H&R Sport Springs =]

My computer is down right now, so this is the only pic I have of the rear that's up on Stangnet. Hope it suffice. :nice:

attachment.php

A certain amount of clunking, and "slop" in the driveline of these cars is definitely par for the course. If you're getting all kinds of noise when downshifting, it sounds like your clutch may not be disengaging fully. If that checks out fine and the noise persists, drive it till it falls apart.

And if you're used to imports, just get over it. These cars have WAY noisier drivetrains than hondas or toyotas.