02 V6 (how Many Miles Can I Expect To Get From The Motor)?

jjr

Jul 5, 2012
Hello,
New to the forum, I have been looking at used 94-02 V6 Mustang with 134k on it. Was wondering what kind of life would actually be left on the motor. Are there any other issues with these model year v6 motors? Also do they have a timing chain or belt? If it would break would the valves meet the pistons?

Any issues with the automatic transmissions of this era also?

TIA.

JJR

• Sponsors (?)

Pushrod engine, timing chain and gears. The only thing keeping the engine from lasting well over 200K is how was it treated and maintained. If it has been abused, especially if the abuse takes the form of lack of maintenance, then don't expect it to last near as long. I have an 01' V-6 5 speed Mustang with 135K miles on it and it runs just as good as the day it was new, maybe better. I get 32 plus mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. Needless to say I am very happy with the car.

^that

my car had 180,000 miles on it and still ran decently after 3 years with massive holes in both headers. Cylinder walls weren't even worn.

it all depends on how well you care for it. If it runs fine now and everything is in good working order, it should be good for quite a while longer if you maintain it.