03 Cobra wheels chrome vs polished

Designie

Jun 15, 2006
Hi everyone. I am in the process of shopping for new 4 lug 17" wheels for my '89 LX. I've settled on the '03 Cobra wheels.

The thing I cannot decide on is the finish. I would say I like the polished slightly more than the chrome, but I'm concerned about upkeep and maintenance of the two. According to the retailer, the polished aluminum has a clear coat finish applied. While I think that would cut down on maintenance, I am worried about the durability of the clear coat. I have seen cases of factory rims where the clear starts to peel and it just makes the rims look awful. Chrome I know can also pit and even peel, but keeping them clean should be pretty easy.

Can anyone share their experience or issues with either one of these two finishes?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have polished OEM wheels on my car. The factory polished wheels have a plasticized clearcoat on them. It if get a chip in it, and water gets behind it, it begins to oxidize the wheel and lift the finish in that area.

They are easy to polich, but fine lines and scratches over time will start to make them look a little hazy. They are a lot of work to keep nice and shiny.

No experience with chrome.

I think I may change to a painted style wheel....1998 Cobra for example

Hi everyone. I am in the process of shopping for new 4 lug 17" wheels for my '89 LX. I've settled on the '03 Cobra wheels.

The thing I cannot decide on is the finish. I would say I like the polished slightly more than the chrome, but I'm concerned about upkeep and maintenance of the two. According to the retailer, the polished aluminum has a clear coat finish applied. While I think that would cut down on maintenance, I am worried about the durability of the clear coat. I have seen cases of factory rims where the clear starts to peel and it just makes the rims look awful. Chrome I know can also pit and even peel, but keeping them clean should be pretty easy.

Can anyone share their experience or issues with either one of these two finishes?

Thanks!

You talking about these? I just ordered these myself last week... https://lmr.com/item/WK-1007DABB/79-93-mustang-anniversary-wheel-kit-black-17x9-10
I was between the silver and the black with machined lip... I'm not into chrome... I ended up with the black and machined lip...

Polish wheels will be powder coat clear, very common and easy to up keep just like a painted wheel. Use Wax/Sealer no problem.

Chrome is great as long as it is new soon as it gets oxidation or chipping it is done and not much you can do short of paying big $$$ to have it fixed.

Personally prefer the polish as if they ever require repair it is cheaper and easier to have them polished out and re-coated.

In my experience it is the quality of the finish not the finish so much. I like the polished except on black or almost black(true blue for instance). The '98 Cobra silver wheels look nice and are easier to keep up and they still looked good on my BAB '98 although I did damage one and the replacement(Ford OEM) was evident when you got closer.