05 mustang's weight

• Sponsors (?)

When I spoke with a Ford engineering manager at one of the 05 Mustang showings, I asked him how much it weighed. He would not give me a straight answer, so I said "I heard 3470 lb. (For the GT coupe)". He seemed shocked when I threw out that # and sort of nodded that # was about right.

I got the Mustang press book in front of me, it says:

GT: 3,450 Manual, 3,500 Auto

V-6: 3,300 Manual, 3,345 Auto

Not bad huh?

For comparison the Mach 1 weighs 3,469lbs (manual) and has about the same HP. Looks like we will be seeing Mach 1 numbers out of the GT. :D

03 SVT VERT said:
The one problem it may have is the tires, the Mach's tires are a bit wider. I don't know why Ford choose such thin tires. :notnice:
Wider would be nicer, but I don't think that it necessarily means traction is going to be bad -- remember that the '05 has a much better rear suspension, and 235's might be equivalent to 275's on an SN95 for straight line traction :rlaugh:

Dave

03 SVT VERT said:
For comparison the Mach 1 weighs 3,469lbs (manual) and has about the same HP. Looks like we will be seeing Mach 1 numbers out of the GT. :D

According to statistics we've got on the Mach 1 Registry, the weight of the 5-speed manual version shows as 3430 lbs. On the copy of the invoice I have, the shipping weight is listed as 3317 lbs. I have assumed this is the weight without a full tank of gasoline (~ 16 gal @ 6 lbs/gal = 96lbs) in the car.

If the GT engine out is underrated like the Mach 1's, they definitely will be close in acceleration.

Alright, here:

Attachments

• stangbook 001.jpg
    stangbook 001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 250
  • stangbook 002.jpg
    stangbook 002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 234
I got it from a buddy of mine who went to the Detroit auto show, he has a press pass so he got all kinds of info that isn't supposed to be publically released yet. He got a really cool one from Buggati on the new Veyron, it is a velvet lined case that when opened up has a book on the car and a full length DVD, it looks real expensive. :D

The mach and the 05 are going to be a close race, thats for sure. It is defenitely going to be a awkward experience when im at a stop light and a 05 pulls up next to me, but hopefully with a few more mods it will be a fun race. The tires are a little small and it looks like it sits up kind of high in the back, but that might of been a bad pic i seen.