06 GT just died. Where do I begin?

speed1972

Founding Member
Mar 13, 2002
Denver, CO - Buckley AFB
My wife was driving her 06 GT yesterday to my son's school. She was driving about 40mph and came up to an intersection, the light turned yellow so what does she do, she stands on the gas of course (not your typical female driver :D ). Anyway, instead of gaining speed, the car loses power which forces her to stop at the light. . While sitting at the light, it starts running really rough to the point where it won't go more than 1-2 mph. She ended up needing help to push it out of the road because it just wouldn't go. At this point she calls me (8000 miles away because I'm deployed) and I try to trouble shoot it a little over the phone. While we are talking, she starts the car it runs for about 10 seconds and quits. The other thing to note here is that she could no longer hear the fuel pumps cycle when the ignition key is turned to the on position. I figure the gauge was messed up and she's out of gas because it is only reading 40miles to empty. I have her get a few gallons of gas, now the fuel pump cycles again but still no start. It will turn over all day long and no starting. I am going to have her put the diablo on it in the morning to see if there are any codes. Does anyone have any clue where to start looking for issues with this? I am completely lost.

I'm running an 06 GT stock 3 valve with a Paxton Novi 1200 supercharger.

Appreciate any help

LB

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I was going to suggest as well, Fuel Filter. Actually, I think Ford recommends changing it after the first 15K miles. The biggest help you're going to get is if these are any codes present. The other thought that crossed my mind is possibly some goofy Security System glitch, passkey issue, or cam or crank sensor. Sounds like it's getting fuel but no spark. I believe the crank sensor is the #1 input to the computer and uses the cam sensor as a back-up. If you have good fuel pressure but the computer doesn't know when to inject the fuel, I would think you would get a no-start condition. I would pop the hood and look at all of my electrical connections to make sure they are all properly seated. Just my 2 cents with the information presented.

stan he is running a Paxton on it...pretty much viods the warranty for most of the drivetrain parts...

yup I would have the fuel filter checked first. Question though, did you upgrade the fuel pump at all with the sc install?

I would have considered an issue with the pump but I'm running dual pumps. As long as I'm not pushing a lot of boost (i.e. normal driving) or even starting at this point, I don't need more than one pump. So even if I had a pump going bad, the second one is enough to keep it running. I (meaning my wife) is going to put a filter put on it this weekend and hook the scanner up and try to see what is going on.

Appreciate the help though either way, we'll get it worked out.

LB

Ok I'm finally back from my deployment and can really get hands on with this thing. I replaced the fuel filter and I still get a no start condition. I plugged in my tuner and there are no codes either.

One thing I did notice, about every 8th time of cranking it, probably one cylinder will fire almost like it wants to start.

Any ideas where I should start? Is there anything in the diablo tuner that I can look in regards to the real time diagnostics?

Any ideas are much appreciated at this point!

LB

Well, I put some effort into it and was able to find the issue. I traced the fuel back to the tank and the hose came loose from the second pump. Now I just need to figure out how to get it fixed right so it doesn't happen again.

I will contact Paxton tomorrow to see if they have fixed their kit. The one they originally sent me didn't work properly so I fabricated one myself. It was the one weak spot in their kit and of course, I'm having issues with it.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks for the suggestions and help given!!

LB