Engine 06 Mustang GT 4th/5th gear grinding

Shanerz

Oct 14, 2019
Colorado
Hello,
I have an 06 GT with about 106k miles on it. Installed a cheap short throw shifter about 2 months ago myself and about 1 month ago I noticed the shifter started feeling a little bit weird but nothing I was too worried about. I also started noticing a prominent grinding sound, almost like metal on metal scraping when cruising in 4th gear (not as prominent and loud in 5th gear but still noticeable). Then as I was driving one day, the shifter linkage bolt that connected the arm to the shifter itself popped off leaving me stranded not be able to go into any gears. I took it to a shop and they bolted the linkage back together with a single bolt. I also asked them to look at the grinding and long story short, they had no clue what it was.
Another thing I was curious about is that I can’t remember if there was a spacer between the bolt and shifter linkage arm and maybe when the bolt popped off, the spacer did as well. The mechanic just put a single bolt on there so I was wondering if there needs to be a spacer between them or if it’s fine the way it is?
After research, I found a thread that told me the problem might be related to the stoppage bolts. So I readjusted them and found that the grinding sound was a lot quieter than what it was before. It was almost unnoticeable in 5th.
Also, I dealt with all the transmission research and stuff like that so I took it to a transmission clinic and they told me to “Call us when the sound gets louder” and mentioned a input shaft bearing. Something to note is the mechanic at the transmission place sounded like he had no clue what he was talking about so I don’t really trust him.
I was wondering if the problem could be fixed with a new, higher quality short throw shifter or if the problem is actually transmission related? Also a rough estimate to fix if it is transmission related would be nice because enough money has already been put into the car and I’ve been contemplating on getting a new car if the repairs cost too much.

• Sponsors (?)