07 Gt, Manual Trans Shifter Clunk/crunch During Braking/take-off

metroplex

Sep 7, 2003
SE MI
My 2007 GT w/ TR-3650 has just under 20k miles (bought new in 2006). I noticed this year that the shifter makes a harsh clunk/cracking sound during takeoff from 1st gear (just an easy take-off, like pulling away from a stop sign while turning, etc...) and 2nd gear. If I jab the brakes hard, the shifter will make that same clunk especially in the 1-3 gears but it does it in 5th as well. It doesn't seem to do it as much or at all in 2nd and 4th gear.

I did some experimentation and if I shift into neutral while at speed (say 40-50 mph), it will still make that clunk/crack. If the car is moving in reverse, it does it as well in neutral. It also makes the sound when I have the clutch pedal depressed under the same conditions.

Here's the history of the car:
Kept the stock shifter up until 2015, when I switched to the Hurst Billet
Kept the stock H-pipes up until 2015, switched to Pypes off-road X, switched back to stock H-pipe earlier this year. All pipe connections are tight.
Swapped from stock axle-backs to FR500S/GT500KR mufflers in 2012.
Swapped from stock rear lower control arms to Steeda Billet sometime in 2012 as well.
The TR-3650 always had rattling, but not this clunk and I don't recall it ever doing it until early this year.

The clunk/cracking sound seems to only occur when there is a sudden shift in the chassis, like accelerating or hard braking.
If I'm on the freeway driving normally, the shifter feels tight and there are no odd noises. The clutch works fine, as does the transmission.
It feels almost as if the shifter is being yanked forward (towards the engine) during hard braking, and during accelerating from a stop, the same thing is occurring. I did a test by resting my hand on the shifter (gently) to try and feel the cracking sound, and it seems like something is yanking the trans - even in neutral and w/ the clutch disengaged.

Before I spend hours just checking every single bolt, I wanted to know if anyone encountered this? I didn't want to mention the Hurst up front because there are numerous complaints about harsh/notchy shifting, rattling, etc... and I'm used to that. But this cracking/clunking sound isn't normal to me.

• Sponsors (?)

Engine and trans mounts looked solid. I don't rest my hand on the shifter. It looks like the Hurst Billet lower bushing (the rubber boot on the bottom of the spherical joint that faces the driveshaft) is torn.

I have no help on the shifter clunk... but the rattle maybe. I had a rattle I thought was exhaust but couldn't find. Later for other reasons, I checked the transmission (TR3650) fluid - it was low. Added fluid, rattle gone.

I changed the fluid and the Redline High Temp quiets it down significantly.

I found that the lower boot was completely torn and deteriorating possibly due to the trans tunnel heat. It is not covered under warranty and their replacement boots are the same material. I also found that the clunk quiets down as it gets hotter and when I lubed it from the bottom. I may go with a MGW if I don't buy a 2017 GT or GT350.