• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

1/4 Mile launch question

  • Thread starter Thread starter 70dvr
  • Start date Start date Mar 22, 2008

70dvr

New Member
Jul 25, 2006
46
0
0
Brandon, Florida
Mar 22, 2008
#1
  • Mar 22, 2008
  • #1
I'm having a problem with wheel hop on my 70. It's a 393, 5spd, 350 gear, 5 leaf mid eye springs and Shelby style traction bars. Since the last time I went to the strip. I've added 1" Polyurethane Coil Spring Pads. The front of my car was to low. As a benefit of that I'm now getting some weight transfer when I launch and I suspect that will make the wheel hop worse.
I'm looking for options that don't require spending money. I've thought about modifying my traction bars to make them adjustable or maybe something as simple as clamping my leaf springs. Any ideas.
 
1

10secgoal

Active Member
Dec 1, 2003
2,801
3
49
San Diego
Mar 22, 2008
#2
  • Mar 22, 2008
  • #2
Withough spending money will be hard. Clamping the rear parts of the leafs is about the only thing I can think of. When the money comes, you can ditch the shelby style. Caltracs will fix it.
 

70dvr

New Member
Jul 25, 2006
46
0
0
Brandon, Florida
Mar 22, 2008
#3
  • Mar 22, 2008
  • #3
Thanks 10secgoal, I would have thought the clamps went on the front of the spring.
 

mrmustangman357

Member
Feb 11, 2007
763
3
18
Mar 23, 2008
#4
  • Mar 23, 2008
  • #4
when you consider axle spring wrap, it rotates the such a direction that the rear leafs unload and maybe can separate, so if they are clamped that is a slight improvement
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
141
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
346
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
775
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
S
65 Coupe I6 Auto to 302 EFI 5 Speed Swap
  • Scuderia
  • Feb 3, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2025
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?