1/4 mile oil

realtex

5 Year Member
Dec 3, 2018
tx
My stock 95 GT 5.0, T-5, 3.08 gear, 60,000 mile car is mainly a "fun" driver. I would like to run it occasionally at the strip, prob never over 5500 rpms. What's a good oil to use and what oil filter is best?
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Anything but castrol! Or is that Pennzoil? I forget :scratch:
actually any synthetic or semi synthetic 10-30 will do, no fram filters, they are the worst! Just change it every 5k miles and drive it like you stole it!

Reactions: 1 user
Amsoil is the best in my opinion and Wix filters. Royal purple is good too but I wont use it since my engine machinist told me my engine failed because of it. ( haven't seen anyone else have that problem ).

I use motorcraft filters on my mustang with regular non- synthetic oil. I used to use amsoil when I raced my cars but now it's getting harder to find. Mobile1 is the ford recommended oil though. There are a bunch of opinions about this.

what is a "good " Oil .. today all Brand oils are better then ths Stuff from the 80/90s..i use a Chevron API SN mineral oil 20/50 in my 331stroker ..reving up and down with Nitrous and all fine..engine stays super clean inside and no problems...too much "drama" about the right oil.. ??!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Your still daily driving the car so you need an oil that can stand up the rigors of everyday use instead of a purely drag type oil.

Me? I run Mobil 1 synthetic in everything I own. Penzoil platniumis what I would do second. Honestly...what's a bad oil to run these days?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Schaeffer's 5w-30 with a 10,000 mile drain if its EFI. Oldest one is my GMC with 325,000 runs and tows great. As for the race vehicals they get changed once per season. They are carbed and bracked raced every weekend during the summer. Same Schaeffer's 5w-30 supreme 7000 all are hyd. roller motors. If one would ever have a flat tappet cam then Schaeffer has a10w-30 race oil with the zinc additive just for the flat tappet motors.

I used to use Mobil 1 in my 2000 Tacoma. It would use up 1/2 quart in between oil changes. I changed to Castrols edge synthetic and no loss of oil. I run old school penzoil or valvoline in the stang. My friend experienced the same with Mobil 1. :shrug:

Last edited:
Jeez,....
Oil is oil.
Crude is crude, and synthetic is all created ( by man) equal.
You'll get a different opinion from everyone here. I run oreillys brand 10-30 syn in my car. The filter is the exception. As long as you do your homework, you'll find out the differences between cheap oil filters ( like the basic fram) and the others. Most ap stores have a display on the counter showing how cheesebag the entry level fram is. I use a motorcraft FL1a in all my engines.

Mobil 1 10w-30 is what I run in my 92. I rebuilt that engine to factory bearing clearances. And I agree with Mike on the FL1a filter.

On the 93, I run Mobil 1 15w-50. I didnt build this engine but I think who did, intentionally gave it extra bearing clearance for race purposes. But the assembly is now in a daily driver application. With 10-30 the pressure would drop off when hot. The 15-50 solved that perfectly.

Quaker State full synthetic 5W-30 was $19.97 (now $17.97) at Walmart for 5 Qt container.
24e81faf-b415-48fb-87c0-48861465453b_2.dc40be548ad1f2f14050d4281caebec9.jpg

What ever is on sale and a premium filter has served me well for years lol

But usually it’s Castrol in the mustang-Mobil 1 in the wife’s Lexus , and again,whatever’s on sale for my beater truck and winter DD . But I do buy premium filters for all of em

Yeah, OEM filters in all my vehicles. I take my Pilot to Honda because we have a service contract though the Honda Dealer.

Last edited:
I also run the Motorcraft oil filters on my two Ford vehicles. Technically I have three free oil changes on my Taurus I've never used because it's just faster for me to do it myself vs waste two hours driving to dealer, waiting and driving back.

I take my Pilot to the dealer because the body shop I work at is on “ car dealer row”, The Honda dealer is just a walk away from the body shop I work at, so taking advantage of the free oil changes is worth it to me.