1.7 rockers

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
raleigh, nc
im getting a set of used 1.7 rockers from a friend of a friend who owns LS1 excitement in apex north carolina. they do really good work on the LS1. but anyway, is it worth it and is it even goin to make a difference for 100 bucks. kinda confused because i want more power because all my friends drive 5.0s with systemax kits and superchargers or nitrous. i cant compete...but one day i will. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but 1.7=more lift=more air/fuel=more horsepower. I woudn't expect a whole lot, but you might be able to tell...i think that's one of the things that generally helps along with other mods...maybe someone can tell you how much it changed in their car...just make sure you'll have enough valve clearance with the cam you have..i didn't check your sig.

ive got a stock cam...actually the entire motor is stock less the throttle body. the cars has 190k on it and the motor has never been opened up for anything....which kind of scares me because i dont want crap to start leaking or breaking now, ya know? my friend said ill have enough clearance....guess well just have to find out the hard way, hes doin the work anyway. haha, he breaks my car i guess ill just have to drive his 89 saleen around until he fixes my car.

ya 1.7's will give you some more lift make your cam seem a bit bigger too.(called the lazyman's cam) you should also be able to use your stock valve covers also p/v clearance shouldnt be a problem either you might see 10-15hp at most if that but mostly a change of exhaust note.

man, i honestly dont know....i bought the car with them on it. it had a compucar nitrous kit. so we all figured the kid wanted more fuel with his nitrous. i havent really thought about it....but its definetly something else i need to do. thanks

ECU5.0 said:
man, i honestly dont know....i bought the car with them on it. it had a compucar nitrous kit. so we all figured the kid wanted more fuel with his nitrous. i havent really thought about it....but its definetly something else i need to do. thanks

If you decide to switch back, let me know I will trade you for my set of 19#. They only have 65K miles original on them. I am going with heads and a new cam in a few days and I need the 24# units. Let me know by PM, I am glad to send the injectors to you first so you are not down without the car. My engine is waiting to be dropped into a '68.

68converted said:
If you decide to switch back, let me know I will trade you for my set of 19#. They only have 65K miles original on them. I am going with heads and a new cam in a few days and I need the 24# units. Let me know by PM, I am glad to send the injectors to you first so you are not down without the car. My engine is waiting to be dropped into a '68.

i will definetly let you know if im gonna change them out. i appreciate the advice

all he needed to do was just get a fp and he would have been fine guess he didnt know what he was doing. least you got some one who will trade. anyway you should make some before and after exhaust clips and let us know how they feel also.

88stangmangt said:
all he needed to do was just get a fp and he would have been fine guess he didnt know what he was doing. least you got some one who will trade. anyway you should make some before and after exhaust clips and let us know how they feel also.

definetly....ill try to figure out how to get some sound clips on my computer...and ill let yall know what the difference is.

I'm interested in this topic, and since it was brought up, would it be worth putting 1.7rr on my car? It's basically a stock '86 GT so it's got the E6 heads and it's SD which I think has a more aggressive cam than the Mass Air cars. I've heard they can help these heads breathe better. :shrug:

on ported e7's or good heads, (gt40's, AFR's, and a good cam etc.) it would probably be a good investment. If you plan on doing these things in the future, you can get it over with now. The fact is e7's just dont flow at the unported stage. It's a step in the right direction if the price is right =)

ECU5.0

1.7rr on a completely stock Mustang isn’t going to give you much at all. Some will say 10-15hp, which is probably pretty close if you’ve got a host of other breathing mods done to the engine (heads, intake, etc) but it’s probably going to be more like 4-6hp on a stock 5.0. Even with the larger TB, exhaust and injectors. The Heads and intake are just too big of an obstacle right now to make the rocker arms worth while. I’d spend my money on porting your heads/intake, or saving for an aftermarket set. If you plan on getting a cam in the future, go with a set of 1.6rr and add the extra lift and duration with your cam selection. Adding lift with 1.7rr is the poor-mans way of adding lift, but not the best way. In the long run, your valve train will suffer far less with the 1.6’s, than the will with the 1.7’s.

Gearbanger 101 said:
ECU5.0

1.7rr on a completely stock Mustang isn’t going to give you much at all. Some will say 10-15hp, which is probably pretty close if you’ve got a host of other breathing mods done to the engine (heads, intake, etc) but it’s probably going to be more like 4-6hp on a stock 5.0. Even with the larger TB, exhaust and injectors. The Heads and intake are just too big of an obstacle right now to make the rocker arms worth while. I’d spend my money on porting your heads/intake, or saving for an aftermarket set. If you plan on getting a cam in the future, go with a set of 1.6rr and add the extra lift and duration with your cam selection. Adding lift with 1.7rr is the poor-mans way of adding lift, but not the best way. In the long run, your valve train will suffer far less with the 1.6’s, than the will with the 1.7’s.

alright, well that makes sense....thanks for the advice

Gearbanger 101 said:
ECU5.0

It's true that it doest put more strain as it chages the valvetrain geometry. Rockers Multiply the camshafts lift which is where you get the extra lift, ie. power from. If you are planning to do heads/cam/intake in a year or so then yeah i would get 1.6's but if your not, it will give you power increase. Even if you dont go with the 1.7's get the 1.6's. the stock ones tend to flex and are more than likely not giving you a true 1.6. They also create more friction and are just crappy in general.