Wheels-Tires 11' Gt Wont Hook Up To Save Its Life

looking at buying new tires for the rear of the car. i want it to hook up but still wanna drive it daily. Thinking nitto nt555 or invo, maybe firstone firehawk indy 500s, but the back rim is only 8.5in wide. whats the max width everyone is running. might get new 10in wide rims to run 275/40/19. still want to be able to run the car in auto cross as well as drag racing. whats the secret to getting these cars to hook up. my old 97 gt didnt have this problem haha

• Sponsors (?)

looking at buying new tires for the rear of the car. i want it to hook up but still wanna drive it daily. Thinking nitto nt555 or invo, maybe firstone firehawk indy 500s, but the back rim is only 8.5in wide. whats the max width everyone is running. might get new 10in wide rims to run 275/40/19. still want to be able to run the car in auto cross as well as drag racing. whats the secret to getting these cars to hook up. my old 97 gt didnt have this problem haha
My 2010 GT had no problems hooking up on the stock Pirelli PZeros after I replaced the rear LCAs and UCA with tubular steel parts. Granted, that was a 4.6 car instead of a 5.0 car, but the chassis and suspension from 2010 to 2011 didn't change.

Reactions: 1 user

Those are nice. Traction will be so much better with the 305 rear tire but I will say this I have one that sticks out further then the other. Someone told me it's due to the axle of the car and I didn't notice it with the stock tires because they stayed inside the fender. It's not much of a difference but I notice it so it bothers me. Not sure if the axle part is true so I am going to have to research it. Use code lmr6

Is your car lowered? The S197 Mustangs use a panhard rod so lowering them will cause the rear differential housing to shift in relation to the body, It does not affect handling or ride but it is noticeable especially with wider rear tires. It is easily corrected with an adjustable panhard rod. A number of companied make them I have BMR on my car.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-adj-panhard-0512.html

It's not lowered at all so I am baffled as to why it's sticking out. I will definitely be buying the one you sent the link to. That one has 5 stars out of 100 reviews. Thanks for the info.

Must be the angle of the picture. It's still the stock suspension. I asked LMR if a panhard rod will correct the wheel sticking out or is it just for lowered cars. Can't get a straight answer. I also noticed around 50 mph I get shaking from the front wheels. I just had them balanced ( one was off 0.55 from LMR ) and still experience the shake. Guess i'll just put the stock rims back on and take a loss on the rims and tires since I can't return them.

As far as the shake, a warped front brake rotor could be the problem if the wheels are balanced. An adjustable panhard rod will allow you to re-center the rear under the body, but it should not be off center if the car is not lowered. So I would check the rear suspension for bent or damaged components.
Are you the original owner? I zoomed in the pic and that car defiantly looks lowered to me. There is no rake and the gaps between the top of the tires and the wheel opening are smaller tan stock

I thought I mentioned it in a previous post but I didn't. I put 20 inch rims on. Stock is 19. I bought the car off my father and the only thing he did was change the gears to 3:73.
What you said about the rotor makes sense because I do have a vibration when I break hard. I'm looking into new rotors now. I know they are bad. I would like to do a full break upgrade actually.
As for the rear suspension i'll just bring it to a shop to have it looked at. If it's bad I guess i'll just upgrade that also

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_5759.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG

It's not off much but enough to bother me and why is it off bothers me even more.