New to drag racing. Looking for wisdom

SVT94GT

Aug 14, 2016
Va
So I have a 95 mustang GT, auto with the AODE. All stock except 3.73 gears, exhuast, shift kit and semi built trans, CAI, 100 shot zex wet kit, and custom dyno tuned. Made 293/361 on spray and 200/258 all motor on 93 octane. My first time ever drag racing and running a car was just last week and I ran a 13.7 at 104mph on bald summer tires with a 2.2 60ft and .598 reaction time. Yes I know it's bad, but it was my first time ever and im new to drag racing. I Just ordered some Nitto NT555 G2s and im wondering if they will hook up decent enough for me to get into the 12s? My tires I have now spin like crazy and have no reaction off the line and I feel like I can get into the 12s with more practice and good tires. Right now its 275/35/18 and i have 285/35/18 nittos being put on tomorrow. Also, any of you guys know how to launch an automatic really good? just looking for advice from guys who have experience and are nice enough to share their knowledge with me. My car also weighs 3360 with a full tank and me in it. I know I don't have the fastest car around or anything super special but I love the sn95 5.0s and they are getting harder to find in good condition nowadays. Here's a link to a quick pull of the 5.0 on Low bottle pressure tell me what you guys think
View: https://youtu.be/zIdOb0UDZSM

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_174321_550.jpg
    IMG_20180405_174321_550.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Sponsors (?)

first your reaction time means nothing for your ET...

as for making it hook up better. skip the street tire and put a drag radial on it

Reactions: 1 user
What he said. The 555's are not considered a drag radial. With a manual trans car you can simply raise the launch Rom to get more power out of the hole. You can't do that with an auto, you are stuck with whatever stall your converter has. If you are launching on the bottle, that may not be much of an issue. Try a better tire then a converter if you still want more.

Joe

With a stock AOD, the trick was to pre-load the converter by holding the brake with your left foot and pushing the gas until around 2000 RPMs. With the 2011-up 6R80, that does absolutely nothing, you need to flash the converter by mashing the gas straight off idle.

Try launching at various RPMs from 1200-2000 to see which works best for you

And get some drag radials.

Definitely need to get that 60' time lower. Usually, for each tenth you shave off the 60, you'll shave 2 tenths off the 1/4 et. Get that 60' down to 1.8 and you should be dipping into the 12's, just barely.

My fastest time I've ran so far with the nt555s is 13.2 @ 105 with 100shot. 2.0 60ft, 8.6 in the 8th mile and .0228 reaction time. I need work on my launch, I spin tires if I hit the nos off line. There's that sweet spot where you launch and hit it to where you won't spin off the line.

If ya ain't first, yer last! (kinda true in drag racing, lol)
- one of the greatest racers in history

Well, ok. Maybe that's not real wisdom, but just get out there and get some seat time. Have fun! Enjoy your car. The 2.0 60' is still pretty rough. Sounds like you need tires anyways, so go ahead, but consider some simple suspension mods. UCAs, LCAs, adjustable shocks, 90/10s up front. I ran a 1.83 60' on 225/55/16 all-season tires and that's with a manual on an affordable suspension combination. You can read about that one with -> this link <-

Also, Bob Cosby wrote a bit about tweaking a fox that might be applicable to some extent since you're still running a 5.0: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/bob-cosbys-12-second-recipe.853108/#post-8581063

Good luck, man.

Last edited: