130 amp alt upgrade DIM HEADLIGHTS???

bryanrevans

Sep 10, 2004
Chicopee,Mass
I recently did the bolt on's listed and when I turn headlights on they are weak dim.The car had a 50 amp stock alt.When the electric fan kicks on it draws on the motor.This I kinda understand...(cheap fan controller with no relay)But the headlights I dont get????? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

yes 4g wire to starter solenoid but......I had no white wire on my harness!No where so I got a 3 wire plug from junkyard to replace my 2 wire plug.I connected the j.y. white wire to white wire on back of alt and other 2 wires to new plug and plugged it in.I left the old large plug with 2 10 guage wires alone hanging??????Good or bad??????

how did you wire up an electric fan with no relay?

with 20 year old wiring, you could have a decent voltage drop through that stock wiring and switches, to the headlights. i installed relays on lows, highs and fogs to help with this situation (gets battery power to the lights rather than using the recursive stock wiring).
and it sounds like either you have a voltage drop in the wiring or an inaccurate gauge (dont 86's have an ammeter rather than a voltmeter?). straight up on an ammeter gauge would be around 12.6 volts.
good luck.

I ran the power source straight from the battery.under hood light actually.for the fan.When I tried to use a switchable power source(wiper motor red wire) the fan would kick on and off every 1-2 sec, so I ran it to underhood light.fan keeps running after I park tho

The secondary power ground is between the back of the intake manifold and the driver's side firewall. It is often missing or loose. It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges. Any car that has a 3G alternator needs a 4 gauge ground wire running from the block to the chassis ground where the battery pigtail ground connects.