140 speedo

hsean

10 Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
dearborn,michigan
i have a speedo out of an 88 mustang that i would like to put in a 90-93 cluster.will this work if i cut the corner and put it in a 90 cluster?i there anything different that i have to look for?i have a black dash and i am thinking of putting the non tilt column and airbag wheel in my 87 t-top .will the wiring plug right up on my 87 dash to the 90 cluster or do i have to swap a 90 to 93 dash wiring over as well. i already have the mass air harness and computer to do the mass air conversion swap.i aslo have an airbag delete plastic insert that goes into the 90-93 airbag wheel that is for offroad use only but since my car didn't come with airbags originally i don't think that would apply to me as far as deleting a safety feature like an airbag.

• Sponsors (?)

right now i am thinking of just swapping everything between the 90-93 wiring so that i don't have any problems.i plan on throwing the 140 speedo on ebay and going with a 90-93 correct speedo.they are on ebay all day long but right now i am curious if the wiring from a four cylinder is compatible and is similar to the v-8 dash harness.i would think that they are the same but i want to know for sure does anyone know for sure .i would like to go and pick this wiring up tonight from this guy locally ,he says that it will work i don' t want to take his word for it.

the dash harness should be the same between 4cyl and v8 models. if you want to use the whole cluster you need the correct year, but the speedo portion will come out and you can use it with your existing cluster.

ok i just got back and i bought the harness and cluster which both came out of a 91 four cylinder notchback.my engine harness for my mass air conversion came out of a 93 lx with a 302.i talked to a friend and he told me that the harness should plug up if the car was made in the second half of the model year.hopefully that is what i have and i will check it out tomorrow to be sure.the 140 speedo that i have is out of my 87 so there shouldn't be any problems there i hope.

ok i just got back and i bought the harness and cluster which both came out of a 91 four cylinder notchback.my engine harness for my mass air conversion came out of a 93 lx with a 302.i talked to a friend and he told me that the harness should plug up if the car was made in the second half of the model year.hopefully that is what i have and i will check it out tomorrow to be sure.the 140 speedo that i have is out of my 87 so there shouldn't be any problems there i hope.

IF you are just putting the 140 speedo from the 88 into the newer cluster housing, you'll have to modify the bottom portion a little but it should work just fine in your 90+ cluster. As for the wiring.. PFFT i just went through the whole thing with my project.

Here is what you have to do. Check under the driver seat. If you have a FP relay, MAKE SURE MAKE SURE MAKE SURE you have a 91 computer harness. IF you have no relay under the driver seat, your 93 computer harness will "plug right in". Ford moved the FP relay from under the seat to the passenger side shock tower with the WOT relay. Also if you haven't - you need a headlight harness as well. 4cyl one will NOT work. This has to be a correct year as well, not just any harness will work! I made this mistake and when i attempted to start my car, the horn was blasting with the key in the run position :rlaugh:

IF you are just putting the 140 speedo from the 88 into the newer cluster housing, you'll have to modify the bottom portion a little but it should work just fine in your 90+ cluster. As for the wiring.. PFFT i just went through the whole thing with my project.

Here is what you have to do. Check under the driver seat. If you have a FP relay, MAKE SURE MAKE SURE MAKE SURE you have a 91 computer harness. IF you have no relay under the driver seat, your 93 computer harness will "plug right in". Ford moved the FP relay from under the seat to the passenger side shock tower with the WOT relay. Also if you haven't - you need a headlight harness as well. 4cyl one will NOT work. This has to be a correct year as well, not just any harness will work! I made this mistake and when i attempted to start my car, the horn was blasting with the key in the run position :rlaugh:
i have 2 parts cars to work an 87 and 88 gts.the car that this is going in is an 87 lx that i have completely gutted.i will have to see if i have the relay plug under the seat
.i got bothe the 91 cluster and the dash harness for 20 bucks so pretty good deal hopefully i can make it all work down the road.thanks for the info i will have to do a search under your name to see the project you completed.

i have 2 parts cars to work an 87 and 88 gts.the car that this is going in is an 87 lx that i have completely gutted.i will have to see if i have the relay plug under the seat
.i got bothe the 91 cluster and the dash harness for 20 bucks so pretty good deal hopefully i can make it all work down the road.thanks for the info i will have to do a search under your name to see the project you completed.

Just click the link in my sig thats my progress thread :nice: Good luck and shoot me a PM if u have any other questions.

PS: I had NO donor car.. You're already a few steps up on me where i was when i started!

Just click the link in my sig thats my progress thread :nice: Good luck and shoot me a PM if u have any other questions.

PS: I had NO donor car.. You're already a few steps up on me where i was when i started!

i appreciate all the help i can get i am basically using the other car as a template as far as the wiring goes.i am not really mechanically inclined although i do this for a living working in prototype at ford motor company.i build instrument panels and run complete wiring and such but it is easy since it is all new.right now i am trying to figure out a way to build some kind of sturdy framed cart on wheels to set the shell of my car on to send it to get sandblasted underneath.this is a huge project that i am taking on and a fun one as well.i am learning as i go i hope to have the majority of this car done by this summer or atleast have it ready for paint.