• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

17x8 Fit Issue On 1969 Mustang.

  • Thread starter Thread starter FaithTruthWisdom
  • Start date Start date Jan 7, 2016

FaithTruthWisdom

Member
Jan 7, 2016
5
1
13
Jan 7, 2016
#1
  • Jan 7, 2016
  • #1
Greetings everyone!

I came across a set of 17x8 rims from an '07 Mustang for a great price. I'll be doing Mustang Steve's '05+ disc brakes on the front (12.5" rotors), so I couldn't pass the rims up.

I decided to do a test fit on my factory drums, since the spacing of the above conversion is (supposed to be) the same. I'm using 1.5" hub-centric adapters. The rims bolt up, but I notice I've got ~maybe~ 1/8" clearance between the top edge of the rim and the top of the spindle (where the upper control arm meets).

Should I be concerned with these tight tolerances?

Picture of the rims I'm using.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,414
8,358
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Jan 9, 2016
#2
  • Jan 9, 2016
  • #2
Is this with the car jacked up or setting full weight on the ground ?
 

FaithTruthWisdom

Member
Jan 7, 2016
5
1
13
Jan 10, 2016
#3
  • Jan 10, 2016
  • #3
Jacked up. I haven't put tires on the rims yet, though I guess I could carefully lower the bare rim down onto some wood and double check.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,414
8,358
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Jan 10, 2016
#4
  • Jan 10, 2016
  • #4
When you lower the car they should pull away slightly
 
Reactions: FaithTruthWisdom

tos

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2001
896
68
59
Cincinnati Ohio
Jan 11, 2016
#5
  • Jan 11, 2016
  • #5
What else I would be concerned with if you truly only have an 1/8" or slightly more as horse says, You might have them balanced with stick on weights instead of traditional weights that could be wiped off by the upper control arm.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Auto City Classics 67-70 Mustang disc brake kit question/s
  • GOvert
  • Jun 30, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
103
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 30, 2026
GOvert
G
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
388
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
For Sale 89 Saleen Mustang For Sale 35k OBO
  • 89Saleen#493
  • Aug 19, 2024
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
0
Views
3K
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Aug 19, 2024
89Saleen#493
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?