Paint and Body 1962 Impala - Bodywork

It would be damn hard to get anything done with a broken arm!!!! Be careful....glad to hear you're hydrating. I woke up with a cramp in my calf so bad the other night, it hurt to walk the next day. I haven't been drinking enough water.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It would be damn hard to get anything done with a broken arm!!!! Be careful....glad to hear you're hydrating. I woke up with a cramp in my calf so bad the other night, it hurt to walk the next day. I haven't been drinking enough water.
Same here Drew, I usually have a tough first few days when it gets hot, then my body gets used to it.

Those hinge springs are mighty powerful. Bigass decklid though, I guess they have to be strong.

I have the trunk and floor pan edges to do, a couple places in the engine compartment, plus the rain gutters. I guess I'd need something different for each or does one size fit most?

Thanks for the response

Jim

For the inside the cabin needs, like the floor pans, a brushable non catalyzed ss works great.

I used a non catalyzed sprayable ss for my wheel tubs on my red car when i minitubbed it.

But where the car has joints that will be painted and need the ss to be less flexible to prevent damage to the paint, I'll use a two part ss. Like door jambs, drip rails, quarter trough jambs, gap between the quarters and rockers, etc....

No big updates, TG brought in another side job I'm fixing. I've already fixed and prepped it. It's a BMW M6, nice car.
IMG_3323.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG

Tonight I'll mask it for paint to shoot in the morning (it's been over 100 during the day and silver doesn't like to be sprayed at that temp.)

That will only take an hour or two in the morning, then back to the Impala.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the BMW shot this morning and started working on the decklid. I did my initial blocking with 240.

Found six small lows and one bigger to fill. I just laid the mud out and am waiting for it to harden.
IMG_3337.JPG

I want to get it into it's final primer today.

BTW, I believe I sweated one of my nuts off already. That's ok though, keeps them out of my wife's purse. Supposed to be 102 today.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the BMW shot this morning and started working on the decklid. I did my initial blocking with 240.

Found six small lows and one bigger to fill. I just laid the mud out and am waiting for it to harden.
IMG_3337.JPG

I want to get it into it's final primer today.

BTW, I believe I sweated one of my nuts off already. That's ok though, keeps them out of my wife's purse. Supposed to be 102 today.
Hope the heat didn't beat ya today dave. Hope ya had plenty of water between coats and beers :D

The impala is shaping up nice,what's next?

I really am at the stage of walking away from this silly Impala.

I wasn't supposed to do any of the bodywork. I guess I'm making money, but hell.

I'll be having a rather serious conversation with TG tomorrow night. I get my vacation pay in just a little over a month and will be ordering the floor pan and such parts for my car.

Guess which one I'll be more interested in working on at that stage?

I really am at the stage of walking away from this silly Impala.

I wasn't supposed to do any of the bodywork. I guess I'm making money, but hell.

I'll be having a rather serious conversation with TG tomorrow night. I get my vacation pay in just a little over a month and will be ordering the floor pan and such parts for my car.

Guess which one I'll be more interested in working on at that stage?
:thinking:
:thinking:
:scratch:
Man thats a tough one:shrug:

Tonight TG and I had a little talk.

I told him that I'll come back out to work on the Impala when he has the bodywork done on the left quarter and right fender.

I also told him in roughly six weeks I'll have my vacation check and will be getting the parts for my blue car. I asked him which car he thinks I will work on at that stage.

Maybe he'll do something now?

So, what will I do for the next couple weeks? A buddy of mine wants me to shoot his truck. He assures me that it will be prepped and all I'll have to do is mask and paint, seems that I've heard that before. But, he is my friend, I try to take care of my friends.

I'm going to go look at his truck Friday night to see what he has.

I'll be shooting Sikkens on that one, I really, really like Sikkens.

BTW, it's a '72 Chevy and wants to paint it viper red. Should be pretty. Nothing nicer than a freshly painted red paint job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users