Paint and Body 1962 Impala - Bodywork

Ok, got the fenders shot. I’m pooped, I’m going home.
94F18DEB-23DD-4DAD-B1BA-AC6C2F87D883.jpeg
595C0834-4743-44D6-ACF3-C0822DC13D9C.jpeg

Tomorrow I’ll shoot the doors and prep the body so I can paint it Monday morning early.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I’ve got the doors all prepped and the cowel panel, I’m painting them right now. I’ll get a picture after they’re shot.

Looking at this reminds me of being at mike’s
image.jpg

In a little bit I’ll be blocking the body for the last time.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: 2 users
I'm getting ready to go work on the body.

I have about 45 minutes left of prep work to do on it. Found a couple little places that needed to be repimered.

Then an hour or so of cleaning , cleaning, cleaning. Then mask and shoot.

Maybe I'll be done around 2:00ish today.

I don't know how many of you have ever finish blocked an entire vehicle, let me tell you what though, it can make a guy really, really tired.:ack::cry:

Ok, enough whining, I'll update when it's painted.

Reactions: 2 users

I have about 45 minutes left of prep work to do on it. Found a couple little places that needed to be repimered.

I don't know how many of you have ever finish blocked an entire vehicle, let me tell you what though, it can make a guy really, really tired.:ack::cry:

Look at the bright side Dave,...That thing could have been a 4 door hard top...:eek:

Reactions: 1 user

I’ve done it Dave, but not on a car that size. I’ve helped guys block, prep and mask a bunch of cars. I did my 88 GT all by my self about 15 years ago. Lotta work. Took me a few months to do it, did it all after work and on weekends.
12C5F8CC-E6E3-424D-9550-065C3FE5ACB7.png

Reactions: 3 users
Body is prepped. Luckily it’ll be 95 today and the humidity is in the 85% level with no wind.:nonono::cry:
image.jpg

So, about an hour to clean, then an hour to mask. Then clean again. So it’ll be roughly noon before I shoot it.

Luckily I have a bunch of slow reducers an hand. The humidity makes it go slower almost like it was cooler. The solvents take a bunch longer to leave the paint. So long delays between coats, which works out favorably in this heat.

When the hell did I move to Alabama?

Reactions: 1 users
So, a little background for the Impala story.

The owner, first off, is a very wealthy person. Yet he's wealthy because of what Daddy did.

You see, Daddy is still kicking. Son didn't confer with Daddy (who understands what a buck is) about the new paint job on this car. Now he wants to go cheap, mind you, he went cheap when this body wasn't taken off the frame and put on a rotisserie.

Meaning, I might be done with this car. UNLESS, Mr. Thrifty decides he wants an absolutely flat paint job. Then Mr. Thrifty will have to fork out another $1000-$1500 to have me do it.

It was my plan to do this in the first place, we'll see if the owner wants to pony up some more money. For now, I'm forgetting this car.

What a shame. Screw it, charge him again Dave. I hate guys like that. Want a show stopper and don’t want to pony up and do it the right way. Especially, when they have a car that is worth some serious money.

What a shame. Screw it, charge him again Dave. I hate guys like that. Want a show stopper and don’t want to pony up and do it the right way. Especially, when they have a car that is worth some serious money.
Yeah, seriously. This car is worth over $100k if done right.

Oh well, the engine needs to be rebuilt too. It's burning quite a bit of oil.

They should have started with the frame, then suspension, engine and paint, last. It really bugs me when people that have money and don’t want to do it the right way. The shop I learned the business in, did all the high end cars. We were Porsche, Audi, Mercedes certified shop. Due to that reason, dudes would want us to restore there classics. They knew that we knew what we were doing. We did some really nice restorations, Sometimes, we would have cars for two years just for body and paint work. Working on just shells. They had their own engine guys. We did a Shelby KR covertible that was pretty neat. It had the tie downs for the surfboard. A lot of old 356 Porsche’s, More than I can remember. I work at a dealership body shop now, glad I don’t have to mess with the restorations any more.

Stay hydrated in all that heat. It's supposed to be in the 100s next week. Forecast down here is calling for highs over 100 for the next two weeks! Summer is here.