1964.5 Coupe tail light question

472viper

Oct 17, 2019
Sioux Falls SD
Slowly starting the rewire project on a 64.5 six cylinder coupe. First question is about tail lights. Previouse owner bypassed the turn signal lever and ran a wire from rear tail lights to a toggle switch. It's a bit of a rat's nest under the dash as far as wiring from flashers. But my first question is about the tail lights. I look at mine and there are two bulbs in each housing. One bulb is for tail lights and one bulb is for brake/turns. Every wire diagram I've looked at shows one bulb. Do you suppose the P.O. ADDED a bulb to the tail light buckets as part of his work around (seems like alot of work if he did). Or was there ever a two bulb tail light bucket. Trying to decide if I should order new buckets and if they would be compatible with my wire harness. I do have a new tail light to turn signal switch harness. Mr. Mustang 64-65 tail lamp harness for coupe and convertible W/O boot sockets p.n. 1440564TLCWO.

• Sponsors(?)

Mustang Jim

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2001
New Jersey
Visit site
I have a 64.5 and virtually everything was original when I bought it. The tail light housing contains only one bulb socket. It sure sounds like the PO did some wacky mod for some reason. I would recommend that you replace the tail light housings and bring it back to stock.

• PlusOne
Reactions: 2Blue2

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I would want to fix the goofy wiring situation right away. As far as the two bulbs, what about running two 1157 LED bulbs since the hole is there? Is there room?

472viper

Oct 17, 2019
Sioux Falls SD
Yeah, looking closer it is a P.O. work around. I quess he did not have brake lights (probably a harness problem) so the fix was to install a second light socket in the bucket. I see the sockets are new and "shiney". It has wire running between each light and then up to the switch on the brake reservoir. I quess that is where he is pulling power from ? Anyway I have a main engine wire harness, a firewall to headlight harness, a generator wire harness and a tail light to fusebox/turn signal harness, all new in the packages. In the fall I will begine a rewire project, everything except the under dash wire harness which I have inspected and it all looks good yet.