1965 Mustang Power Draw

Sammy69

Sep 14, 2016
Hello Fellow Mustang nuts,

I have a 1965 Mustang that is drawing the battery down. I have found that the wire number 152 in the diagram that goes to the voltage regulator is drawing 2.5 amps with everything shut down. I replaced the regulator and the draw is still there. I tried disconnecting the alternator, no joy. I confirmed the ignition is off. Any ideas on where to look next?

http://averagejoerestoration.com/re...agrams/1965-mustang-wiring-diagrams/1965c.jpg

Thanks!! Sammy

• Sponsors (?)

Have you done any wiring lately?
Have you done anything else to the car recently? Was everything ok and then the problem showed up out of the blue?
I would say solenoid sticking but then you would have a problem shutting the engine off.
Its not out of the ordinary to get a bad regulator either especially the Chinese made ones (Scott Drake)
Check and make sure your brake lights aren't staying on, Check dome light and courtesy lights because they're easily missed if its not night time.

Disconnect wire 152 at the starter selnoid then check for a draw at the selnoid terminal if not its from there down to regulator. If it's still there elemnate a wire at a time so you know where to search further.

Reactions: 1 user